Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love3es_gw

Need help w/ pitcher plant and VFT...

love3es
11 years ago

My sons were gifted a pitcher plant and VFT in a terrarium. I have seen this type of thing sold at our local hardware store. The plants were doing very well in our kitchen window (for about a year) until they started to outgrow the terrarium.

I got online to do some research about these CPs and found out they really shouldn't be grown in terrariums. When I tried to take them out of the terrarium (first cracking the lid then removing the lid and then fully removing the pot from the terrarium over a couple weeks) the pitcher plants started turning brown at the tips and the VFTs turned black and died off. I quickly returned the pot to the terrarium and was able to salvage both plants.

Now, however, I'm right back to square one... the pitcher plant is touching the top of the terrarium. What should I do? Buy a bigger terrarium? Try to harden them off to live outside the terrarium? We live in Zone 5 so planting them outdoors is not an option. I'm attaching a picture so you can see just how small the terrarium is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My boys love these plants.

Kelly

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH