Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carnivorous plants for classroom?

Posted by edufrin Houston, TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 11:59

Hello! I am starting my first year of teaching as a fourth grade math/science teacher. I'm looking for an interesting plant display to place in my classroom for students to observe. I'm pretty good at gardening but I'm venturing out of my comfort zone and looking for advice on carnivorous plants to be placed in glass container (thinking of buying a large apothecary jar).

I would like to keep the display small with only 2 or three varieties of plants. I've read that most carnivorous plants don't like a lot of humidity and succumb to root rot so I plan on keeping the plants in a pot and simply placing the pot inside the apothecary jar, with or without the lid, where the plants can be safe from curious fingers. I would also set up a grow lamp to be on the plants during school hours.

Does this plan sound like a good idea for keeping carnivorous plants?? I would love to hear suggestions on how to improve my set up. Also, what plants would do well in together in an environment like this?

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carnivorous plants for classroom?

You could probably get a Nepenthes or 2, a tropical Sundew like d. Adelae or d. Capensis and a mexican butterwort like p. Moranensis. Although I'm not a fan of CPs in terrariums, bright, indirect Sun (or florescent lights a foot over head) is all they need light wise and the Nepenthes can not sit in a water tray but the other can. Rain or distilled water ONLY. No tap water or bottled water.

o

Capensis doesn't do well enclosed unless you have a fan to keep the air moving IME. RO water will work if your system is in order and removing the salt if you have a softener. I get my water from a carwash where I generally keep the RO in order and check the PPM before filling my jugs.

o

D. adelae for sure. Some of the Utricularia I think might do well - U. sandersonii, U. livida...

o

Thank you all for your advice, I will look all those CPs up! Any good sites that you would recommend buying them from? The only CPs that I can find in the stores are VFTs.

Also, if I simply get a tall glass vase with straight sides, would that be enough air flow for most CPs? I never intended to enclose them as I fully understand this is a no-no... I just want to keep them safe from fourth graders while allowing my students to observe them. Hmmm, maybe I could even attach a small fan to the upper lip. We'll see how inventive I get!

o

Ok, I've done a little research this morning and discovered Sarracenia Northwest online nursery. Good start??

While there, I've been discovering all sorts of beautiful species. Here's my list of possibilities so far....
P. Moranensis
D. Prolifera (sister[?] of Adelae)
D. Scorpiodes
D. Dichotoma

I'm not 100% sure about the last two. Do you think a beginner would be able to keep those alive? I'm leaning more towards the staghorn because of its height.

Thank you all so much for your help!

-E

o

Sarracenia Northwest is excellent, Try to get their DVD series too someday. The Scorpiodes should do o.k., mine are a few inches under a T12 florescent light and I have some that get direct sun in mid-late afternoon.

o

This websites have some basic CP nothing real fancy

http://www.flytraphelp.info/plants/starfish/aboutstarfish.html

https://mycarnivore.com/index.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here