Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
langkai

Hawaiian Botanicals

langkai
15 years ago

Canadians!

Have you ever ordered from this site or know another good site to order carnivorous plants from in Canada? I've e-mailed Hawaiian Botanicals three times now, and gotten no response. I'm just not sure how reputable they are...

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Botanicals

Comments (13)

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Hello Langkai .On June 24 th 2008, I placed my order by phone . You have to place your order by phone first .Jack the owner will walk though the green house and tell u what thay have in stalk .I placed an order for Drosera's D.Capensis red typical ..Binata And both giant D.binata Dichotoma ..And D. Binata extreama . Also one drosera filiformis Tracia . I placed my order though when he conformed the plants i wanted were there . And how much the full order would cost . Next thing i did was get a money order and sent it by express . On June 26 th .I received them . It was fast and my plants arrived in exelent shape Langkai. Their closed Mondays .And also u have to take into accout they are four hours behind us Ontario . I Highly recomend Hawaiian Botanticals . A month later I have several new plants I sucessfuly propigated . Good luck and happy growing . Scott

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh! Thank you! :) I will have to try them out then.

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Hello Lankai .. Try them tommorrow . Don;t forget the time zone diffronce . What type of CP's are you interssed in getting ? Good luck and happy growing . Scott

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha, I won't forget. I'm from BC!
    I wanna get u. sandersonii, u. bisquamata, d. aliciae, d. intermedia, and d. anglica. :) I don't know if they have bladderworts though, because I don't see anything on their site... However, I guess it's best to contact them!

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Hello Langkai' Fantastic choise of plants .Not bad for not knowing where a place was to finding a green house full of them in u;re own bk yard . ! Aww your so lucky ! Ya u can visit the olace .There are maps i;ve seen of what roadways are there . I sincerly feel like i;d died and gone to heaven . If I went their .Id want to be applying for a job .lol / To be surrounded by so meny plants would blow my fracken mind lol . good luck and happy growing Scott .ps tell them doo wops plants are thriving .Sincerly Scott

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hehe, well sadly I'm in Ontario for college. But my home is in BC. I miss it a lot, it's beautiful there! I'm excited about getting these plants! I hope they have them all. :)

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

LOL Just u're luck .''I listed a post on here about Hawiian batanticals .Under new Canadian source . I wrote it with in the past month . Theres a place here ,Whay in the heck out in the county . Colaisantiestropical plant in Ruthfin Ont .Near Lemington Ont . Home Depo is another great place to buy them . Greenhouses grows a large varity of Cp's Langkai And,I have no car to get out there. However Nepenthies Coccocnia . Lance leaf sundew . Typical red V.F.T. . In 2004 I had a chance to get in to the green house .And to be surrounded by tables of CPs .U can can do a Canadian search as I did .And come up with The Canadian Carnivous plant Socitey . Also the Montreal Botantical Garden's is listed as well . Good luck and happy growing .

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I also have no car to get anywhere ARRGG... I guess I'll just have to look around!

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Hey Lankai .Well how did every thing turn out for you ? I sincerly hope you placed and recieved your order , If not soon .I;m axious to follow some one else's exitment .A month ago I placed my order . I was extreamly happy I did . So I'm sure interessed in how your order goes ,They are a an exel;lent place to order from . The day they arived .I took a few root and leaf cuttin's of Ditchotoma . And Capenis .Binata Extreama . The leaf cutting's of the RO Waterd Drosera Dichotoma ' 60 plantlet's on 3 sepreate leave's / not bad for 3 weeks . The Capensis root cuttings are sprouting . I can;t beleive how fast the Ditchatoma exploded with new plantlets I was amazed Lankia . It pays to buy a plant you can get lot's of plantlets off of , Best wish's and happy growing to all .Doowop6116

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hehe, sadly I haven't placed my order yet since I'm broke (aahhh!). And I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to until next year (cause I know it's a bad idea to ship them during the winter...). But we'll see! I think there's a minimum order of 25 dollars right? (Well, that shouldn't be hard for me to do, haha.) That sounds exciting though! Capensis are beautiful. :)

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Well ..my drosera Capensis just went to seed . Hopefully I will get 1000 seeds from it . The root cuttings of both Capensis and staghorn's are shooting up / The capensis Langkai is an exellent choise of plant . Needs no dormancey . And you might pay extrea in shipping costs .However it is well worth it . Once I learn more about shipping .And my propigations are well underway . . My Drosera Filiformis I just took a fresh leaf cutting of it . And it's should shoot out alot of plantlets in about 3 weeks .Same with the Drosera binata Ditchotoma ,.cuttings also taken .I put them in a sealed bottal of RO water . And leave them on the window sill . Also trying the flower scape of the D. Capensis also in water . The Drosera Capensis Langkia is some thing you;ll enjoy .Mine are about to deploy larger leaves now that it;s finished flowering . In the act of flowering ..the leaves I find are shorter .And are a little pailer in red pigmantation .Then it;s counterpart full sized summer leaves , Good luck and happy growing Lankai .

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's great! I'm hoping all of the plants I choose will not need dormancy, I don't think they do... I'm going to double check on all of them before I get them though.

Do you have pictures of your plants! I'd love to see. I only have an N. Ventricosa right now, so I don't have much to show, but I'd like to see what you've got.

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

Hello Lankai ,,Sorry it's taken awaile to get bk to u . My pc crashed .Kewl a N.Ventricosa .That must be awsome . Just got it partly reformated . Yes Drosera Capensis will grow all yr around . Same with the D Binata Ditchotoma and D. Binata Extreama ,although thats open to speculation . My filiformis will go dorment for 2 or 3 months . As far as taking photos /I'm trying my best to land my hands on a decent camera . All i have Lankai is a cheap cam that takes crappy photos . I managed to get some plantlets from the Ditchotoma and Exterma By bottling the leave's in pure water.for 3 weeks ...However about 8 or nine only survived .I'm thankful Lankai that for my first time .At least it's better then nothing .I have taken more cuttings last week .Of the D.B.Extreama and Ditchotoma . 1 Capensis leaf also . And a leaf cutting from the D. filiformis . The Capensis finish flowering 2 weeks ago . And I planted the tiny seeds in my D.Capensis pot . I'm curious if they will sprout . When and if my collection get's bigger .Perhaps I;ll mail u a couple of root cuttings to try .Good luck Lankai and happy growing Sincerly Doowop

Sponsored