Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is there fungus in my soil?(yellow perlite)

Posted by hikenyura Ca 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 13:48

Last evening i replanted my venus flytrap and today in the morning i looks closely at my perlite and its turning yellow on some spots, is the fungus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is there fungus in my soil?(yellow perlite)

I doubt it. Sounds like the peat is staining the perlite. Very common and nothing to worry about.

o

I just found out, i asked one of the guys at cobraplants (sarracenia northwest) and he said it is fungus and it kills plant seedlings quickly( within 2 days) but it doesnt effect adults. I have one seedling but i dont hace any fungicide with me

o

If the yellowing is just a stain, it is no problem.. but you indicated that it was just replanted, so the perlite should be new. Yellow fungus will grow up as a soft lump and get bigger as it responds to water trying to spread to any organic matter it can.

o

I agree with the two follow ups. Have you ever seen the color that peat moss turns water? The perlite's capillary and evaporative action tends to trap some of that colorant (tannin?).

o

I too have yellowing perlite in my seedling dish that gets regularly sprayed with fungicide (and the yellowness remains). So unless its furry or squishy, its probably just staining and nothing to worry about.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get some fungicide and spray it anyway though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here