Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikegambeaner

Venus flytrap and pitcher plant transplant 2 terrarium

mikegambeaner
16 years ago

I have a 7 by 10 inch terrarium and want to transplant some Venus fly traps, pitcher plants, and a cape sun dew I bought from Lowe's (2in pots). I am curious as to what methods I need to use as well as what is the best soil mixture I will use for the plants.I would also like to know if I need to add a small fan for ventilation or make some holes in the terrarium, because it is completely closed off. I have not been very successful at my keeping my last plants healthy, so any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• ilbasso_74
    16 years ago

Where are you living?

The pitcher plant is probably the north american variety if it came from lowes. If so, none of those plants need a terrarium. The sundew is probably a D adelae which is fine as a houseplant and the VFTs and NA pitcher plants are probably good outside, depending on where you live. A terrarium is not needed for VFTs or sarracenia.

You'll need to wean them from those death cubes that Lowes sells them in. Open them slowly and prop them open just a little bit at a time.

Let us know where you live and we can make better suggestions. Why do you want to use a terrarium?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

ibasso is right. The VFTs need dormancy and if the pitcher plant is a Nepenthis then it can be grown inside but does not need a terrarium. The Sundews is a fine windowsill plant, just keep direct sun off it unless it's early morning or late afternoon. If the pitcher plant is a sarr. then it needs to go though dormancy as well. Get the book "A savage garden".

• mikegambeaner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Austin, Texas. I want to use the terrarium because I took so long to paint it and it isn't that big so I can take it inside or out. I have designed a mini fan to put inside, but I need to know if I need to make some holes for ventilation or if I need some type of humidifier. I also had to cut the tops of my pitcher plant because they grew mold. Does anyone know if they will grow back.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Well, if the pitcher plant is molding, the terrarium would cause even more problems with mold. Terrariums are great for killing virtually all North American carnvorous plants like Venus Flytraps and Sarracenias.

1. High humidity causes weak growth, opening the plant up to infection and mold attack.

2. Terrarium unable to be placed in direct sun as plants would overheat and cook.

3. Terrarium not able to provide normal dormancy for North American species that require it. North American plants have to experiecne cold winter and short photoperiods for about 3 months out of a year so they go dormant. They suvive over 10 years that way. If not allowed to go dormant, they die within a year in most cases.

4. I already tried the terrarium route when I was about 8 years old. All of the plants died within a few months. Experience speaking here.

I also live in Texas, they do fine here so long as the temperature does not go over 100 degrees for long for the North American species.

I have all mine in open pots, no additional humidity, and under 12000 lumens of florescent lights until I can get them outside where they belong. Sarracenias and Venus Flytraps really are related distantly to many garden plants, like cabbage and spinach, so they really need bright light that simply cannot be provided in a terrarium unless you can provide some really extreme ventilation and at least 12000 lumens of light within 1-2 inches from their leaves... Even then, they would be weak compared to being grown outside in open pots and possibly succumb to rot and fungus.

The pitcher plant will make more pitchers, but will not regrow cut off sections of leaf.

Is your pitcher plant similar to this Sarracenia rubra?

{{gwi:558150}}

Venus Flytrap also grown in open pot.

{{gwi:554662}}

Drosera adelae grown in open pot... and outgrowing it. Your terrarium would not last 6 months for them. One plant becomes a colony of 40 clones in under 6 months.

{{gwi:557159}}

Hope this information helps you out.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

As indicated above, Americn pitcher plants and VFT's are outdoor plants and D. adelae is an excellent window sill plant, open tray method. A terrarium is generally a bad idea for CP's.

• carnivorousobsession
    15 years ago

so putting all my carnivorous palnts in a terarium is no good then i'm confuse cuz i see so many other people growing there's from a terrarium am i doing it wrong then

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

No, Terrariums can be great for your CP, but not every plant needs to go into one. There's no hard or fast rule, but some common plants...

Sundew: Most Sundews you'll see are Tropical, which means they can survive in a Terrarium just fine. However, mine are on a shelf next to my windowsill and are doing great.

Venus Flytrap: Venus Flytraps MUST go to sleep during the Winter by getting cold, so a Terrarium will kill them after a year or so.

Pitcher Plant: Usually when people think "Pitcher Plant" they are thinking of the Sarracenias, or American Pitcher Plants. These need to sleep during the winter as well. Some of these grow as far north as Canada, so they can take the cold. Plus, these guys tend to get pretty tall, so a Terrarium isn't an ideal spot for them.

Monkey Cup: Tropical or Asian Pitcher Plants. These live in rain forests and hills around said forests. Some really really like terrariums, but most of the ones you'll see easily available are quite happy to live in a hanging pot in front of a window.

• SoCalDubstep13
    12 years ago

what if i have 2 lil baby vft and put them in a small like terrarium or plastic bug cont. with tons on slits on top for air and have it outside and inside even with the top off instead of just a pot will it do ok? is small to hold in one hand so i can take it outside on a nice day for lots of sun and inside in evenings to catch house flys? what do u guys think its my first time owning VFT... i also have a Sarr.(pitcher Plant i got at Albertsons its doing good so far turrning a little red and everything. I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ALONG THE COAST OF ORANGE COUNTY fyi pls help

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

I believe in your area a VFT can stay outside year round. Other folks in that area can confirm or correct me please. VFTs are not houseplants. They belong outside, in the open air in your area.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

Yes they can stay outdoors year round in So CA. Nothing wrong with taking them inside after sunset.

• SanDiego_Cper
    12 years ago

Pitchers and VFT (also sundews) can be kept outdoors year round in socal costal.

Butterworts and Nepenthesis, however, not so much because they dont like the low humidity and they tend to bake and deteriorate. They are better kept indoors in a south facing window.

• SoCalDubstep13
    12 years ago

But its not really humid here im coastal So CAL well i got em in a bug cage thing(plastic) with moss/perlight well see how they do i fed them some ants for a treat. and my sund dew catches things on its own lol so does my pitcherplant the bigg one does its a Sarr the ones that grow kinda strait up.