Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldarmark

Algae

mcantrell
15 years ago

I have a problem with my outdoor plants. They're all doing really good (my VFT has finally gotten traps, my White Trumpet has 3 or 4 pitchers coming up, etc etc), but I have noticed that a few of my plants have a smallish layer of green algae growing near them.

I lost one plant to it already, actually, my latest Mystery Pitcher from Lowes, wherein the LFS turned a nice healthy -- at least, if it was really alive -- green color. The greenish tint eventually hit the main plant and it shriveled up rather fast.

Similarly, my Resurrected Purple Pitcher Plant in a deep dish saucer of water is getting greenish as well. The terracotta pot that it is in, when taken out of the saucer, is slippery and slimy, and the water has a slightly brown/green tint to it. The peat moss on top is also slowly gaining the same green color to it.

I have heard using a capful of Hydrogen Peroxide will take care of the algae without killing the plant, is this true? The resurrected pitcher that currently has the problem is just starting to recover from a rather bad experience -- it has 2 deformed 2-3" long "elephant ear"s, and 1 1/8" long normal pitcher coming out of the bud. I'm worried that any method to kill the algae is going to take out the plant at the same time.

Sponsored