Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkdes

favorite cp?

darkdes
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I started this post to find out what your favorite cp is and why. My favorite type of cp are the sundews because of they seem to grow the fastest out of all the carnivores. And my favorite sundew is the giant staghorn sundew.

Comments (17)

• sarraceniahunter
    17 years ago

Dog-gone! I don't know if there is such a beast. I love them all. If I had to choose a favorite though it would be Sarracenia. They can be quite colorful and produce hybrids that can be unusual. My favorite individual plant? Sarracenia leucophylla. It produces beautiful hybrids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Yard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

• xymox
    17 years ago

mine is the venus' flytrap and sarracenia purpurea.
    flytraps are crazy that's why i love them. i always wanted one when i was little (think of the Retro mario bros video game, there's a bunch of flytraps coming out of pipes)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

My favorite genus is Drosera. Within that, the Petiolaris complex of plants, pigmy sundews, and forkleafed sundews - basically anything that is Autralian.

• FlytrpL8E
    17 years ago

My favorite plant genus is Darlingtonia, then Sarracenia then Dionaea, Drosera. Least Fav. Nephenthes. oh! i guess that probably goes into the least fav thread.
    No! not, because I am from California,I'm not a native of Calif.A Penna tansplant.
    Because the plant is jest too darn cute. Guess I called my self by the wrong name when I signed up for GW. I should have called myself A. Darling Toni.Oh well maybe next time, haha
    Lois
    aka
    FlytrpL8e
    Aka
    A. Darling Toni

• fluffygrue
    17 years ago

At the moment I'd say it was a close call between Sarracenia and Nepenthes.. partly because they're the things I seem to do best with!

Although I'm getting quite fond of my Drosera too, now they're flowering.

• darkdes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would have to agree that nepenthes plants probably put on the best show in terms of looks but they just grow to darn slow for my taste. I wish my lowes would get some darlingtonas in, the last time i had one was 7 years ago when i knew nothing about cps. I lost it when a tornado hit my town and it along with a sarr or 2 got blown away. Amazingly i found them 3 months later in a bush in my yard and the cobra was the only one alive! It died later though.

• ilbasso_74
    17 years ago

wow...what a question! The VFTs are so common that I don't think about ordering them online but only rescue them from local stores. But them I'm always captivated by their workings. So amazing. Of my collection, the Sarracenia leucophylla is beautiful, and the purpurea is not very showy, but considering it came from a Lowes cube with two other plants crammed in there and it was questionable if it would even survive and now is getting ready to open its fourth pitcher and that one I'm proud of. It is working very hard to live.

Indoors, the N bicalcaratas are the favorites. They are all small but those rattlesnake fangs are just too wonderful. I have a sanguinea that also came from a Lowes cube and is towering over the other neps so that is another one that I'm proud of.

Of those that I don't have, N. hamata is up on the wish list as well as Sarracenia minors (I've always wanted one of those) and the "Fledgling hybrid" that popped up on Sarr NW's site a few months ago blew me away.

I could keep listing the favorites, but these are just the first few to come to mind. There are several neps that I can't name off the top of my head and lots of sarrs that I REALLY want. I guess sarracenia are my favorite all around.

• jonocross
    17 years ago

At the moment, of what I've got... I'd say my Nep ventricosa is my fave to watch. I know it doesn't really "do" anything but it was my second CP and I still wait expectantly when it's about to split a new leaf. For interacitve fun I actually like my drosera the best. I've recently taken to giveing them bits of powered milk and they seem to love it. I've also given them the most maintainance care since when I got them they were in really bad sunburned shape. Didn't think they were going to make it, but they supprised me.

As far as the stuff I don't have... U. Gibba, N Ramispina and Cephalotus are tops on my current wish list. I'm putting off the Nep cause I really don't have room for it yet but I doubt I'd turn away if I ran into one.

• elgecko
    17 years ago

It is a hard call because so many plants have different characteristics which can make each plant stand out.
    The top of my list would be my N. hamata.
    {{gwi:558258}}

My hard to pick second plant would be D. falconeri.
    {{gwi:558260}}

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Nepenthes, they grow like weeds, little or no care and can stand up to heat, humidity, floods, drought, salt spray, neglect... And they don't go dormant, well, semi-dormant as they don't produce pitchers for me in the winter.
    Tally HO!

• warrior
    17 years ago

My favourite's are Cephalotus follicularis - Albany Pitcher Plants - a fascinating little plant and great fun to grow. And the Venus Fly Trap - after years of collecting the VFT it still amazes me.

• bid2win
    17 years ago

My two favorite cps are Nepenthes macrophylla and Heliamphora ionasi.

• fly_traper
    17 years ago

my favorite,
    hell all of them

• doowop_6116
    15 years ago

My favorite..mmm tough question ..Drosera Capensis .Facinating to this recent grower of CP'S .Facinating the way it the leaves of my typical red wraps it;s leave around it's pray .Several times . And the giant staghorn's I can't wait to see how showy they'll will look in another month . V.F.T. is extreamly kewl as well . Hard to pick a favorite Darkdes.good luck and happy growing

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Mine are Sarrs. Any Sarrs.

• paul_
    15 years ago

Toss up between Cephalotus and Darlingtonia

• stillmanz
    15 years ago

my favourite CP are pygmy drosera
    D lasiantha are definately my favourite species...

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH