Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katty4

Carnivore plants in a paludarium?

Katty4
12 years ago

So, for my summer project I've been building a 5.5 gallon paludarium (a half land/half water terrarium) and the plan was to put basic houseplants in the land side, but when I poured water into the water side to test how water-tight the containing wall was, the water flowed right in and saturated the soil... So now what this has to do with carnivore plants:

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

{{gwi:558284}}

And here's the pic of the soil soaking up the water:

{{gwi:558285}}

So I need plants that like to have wet roots all the time. I'm thinking carnivore plants might work but I'm not sure if they would do well in this type of set up? I know a bare minimum about carnivore plants, they need peat for soil and distilled or rain-water, and nutrient rich soil can kill them, that's about it.

There is potting soil in the paludarium right now but I can change it out, and the lighting will either be window-light and/or a 10-15 watt fluorescent aquarium hood. There will be aquatic plants in the water side and possibly fish, too.

Is this OK for any type of carnivore plants or just a death trap?

Comments (8)

• petiolaris
    12 years ago

I think it would work best for bladderwort plants (Utricularia). My only concern is that there isn't the biochemistry interaction in a relatively closed ecosystem that would exist in nature. I'm not sure how well it would do with waste products.

Here is something similar that I have going, with U. gibba, an aquatic bladderwort and Aldrovanda vesiculosa:

{{gwi:558286}}

{{gwi:558287}}

{{gwi:558288}}

{{gwi:558289}}

{{gwi:558290}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Most carnivorous plants don't do good in a tank of any kind.

• Katty4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I'll figure something else out then

• jmoore3274
    12 years ago

Hegory I disagree. I have grown CP's in enclosed terrariums for over 10 years and still do to this day. I have had awesome success with it as well. It's all about cleanliness and needs of the plants. I have also grown Aldrovanda in a similar way to this.

I can see this terrarium working with some trial and error.

*Make sure the silicone sealant is made for aquariums so there is no or not much leaching of chemicals.
    *The rocks and gravel in the bottom need to go. Use pure silica sand in the soil mix and in place of the gravel. Make sure the sand is well washed. The reason why is because rocks and gravel can carry salts which is a killer for CP's.
    *Peatmoss will always make your water that color so do not try to filter it.
    *Put a bubbler in the tank with a pump which you have.
    *Buy a electronic PH test kit that was made for hydroponics. Keeping a low PH will give you an idea on how healthy the tank is. If the PH swings in a short amount of time. It's unhealthy.
    *Buying small daphnia would be good to feed the plants. Just don't over load.
    *Keep an eye on the temp of the water. Any thing above 80 can be dangerous since infused oxygen becomes low.
    *Try to buy plants that grow in similar conditions.

Plants.
    Some Sarracenia can be submerged like this and actually grow in the wild in the same conditions. I would suggest sticking to north american species. Same thing with some Drosera. Try to keep the water level no more then 2 inches above the soil line at the max.

You can prevent plant sickness by putting a bubbler or 2 in the bottom of the soil. Bad bacteria and pathogens do not like oxygen in the water. The More oxygen the healthier the soil. This is why water is constantly moving on top and through bogs. This is also a basic principle of hydroponics.

To adjust the PH down, boil water and steep peat moss in it. The tenacity will help the plants.
    To adjust the PH up I do not know what to use for I have never had the issue.

Good luck
    -Jeremy-

• Hegory
    12 years ago

True there are some plants that will do well in a tank (I don't know where else one would grow Aldrovanda!) If or when you get a North American pitcher plant be sure to get a low growing type if you plan on having it in there for long.

• sitting_boy
    12 years ago

Hello, are those fan-shaped leafed plants utricularia? I was in michigan looking for the supposed location of a bog and I did see it, across a deep river, but I didnt want to swim across XD. However, I saw some water plants next to my feet before the river that looked just like that...

• Hegory
    12 years ago

The fan shaped plants are aldrovanda, or waterwheel plant, there kinda like underwater venus flytraps.

• sitting_boy
    12 years ago

Wow I didn't even know I was seeing a carnivorous plant I assumed it was one of those invasive chinese water plants. That's cool.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz