Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariawave

My first post! Nepenthes questions

Aria Wave
14 years ago

Hi,

As will become painfully apparent with the types of questions I ask, I'm the most amateur of gardeners with an old interest in carnivorous plants. If anyone can answer some of my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1) I'm trying to figure out the best arrangement for some Sarracenia ventriculosa I just picked up. I've heard from numerous sources that hanging pots are the way to go for pitcher plants, but why? I've thought to myself that perhaps they're better aerated, perhaps they pick up ambient air humidity better, etc. but I've yet to find an authoritative question as to when hanging planters are appropriate and why.

2) What is the best draining soil mix for nepenthes of that sort? I've seen numerous conflicting answers on this topic and I was wondering what you carnivorous plant enthusiasts prefer. I'm thinking of settling on some kind of sand/perlite mix for my pitcher plants but given my knowledge base, it's a toss up as to whether that's just acceptable or a death sentence to my plant.

Thanks for your time! Hopefully one day I can help you guys with questions. :)

Comments (3)