Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisware_gw

anyone have plants at edge of ponds?

chrisware
11 years ago

Hey gang,

I'm great with plants and used to have a carn garden in my classroom for years, but has anyone grown them at the edge of a garden pond?

I have a large koi pond, which is pumped into another small pond and stream area (not plastic forms). It sets in half shade with dappled sun. The edges of the upper pond and stream are all thick natural mosses and smaller plants like strait needle rush, dwarf cattails, and marsh marigold around the edges to name a few. The planting shelf at the upper pong has a lip about a foot wide and varies from a couple inches to about six at the most.

So my question,,, will this support something like a pitcher or would the nutrients be too much? I'm about a 5b zone in WV. We're actually slightly milder than a glades areas which grows a wealth of carn plants, but I'm not interestred in wild collecting (plus its protected)

Any ideas or suggestions? I love the plants around my pond and have some nice show pieces too like petasites, ligularia, and even a hardy banana. I have probably close to twenty or so types of actual pond plants, but I would love to have a carn in the bunch.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus