Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone have plants at edge of ponds?

Posted by chrisware 5-6 wv (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 15:20

Hey gang,
I'm great with plants and used to have a carn garden in my classroom for years, but has anyone grown them at the edge of a garden pond?

I have a large koi pond, which is pumped into another small pond and stream area (not plastic forms). It sets in half shade with dappled sun. The edges of the upper pond and stream are all thick natural mosses and smaller plants like strait needle rush, dwarf cattails, and marsh marigold around the edges to name a few. The planting shelf at the upper pong has a lip about a foot wide and varies from a couple inches to about six at the most.

So my question,,, will this support something like a pitcher or would the nutrients be too much? I'm about a 5b zone in WV. We're actually slightly milder than a glades areas which grows a wealth of carn plants, but I'm not interestred in wild collecting (plus its protected)

Any ideas or suggestions? I love the plants around my pond and have some nice show pieces too like petasites, ligularia, and even a hardy banana. I have probably close to twenty or so types of actual pond plants, but I would love to have a carn in the bunch.

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone have plants at edge of ponds?

I've done it on the edge of an old enamelled cast iron bath tub. The tub is a pond for some water plants including Utricularia gibba. Where the over flow is I put some sand with some U. fulva, U. involucra and (I think) U. arnhemica seeds. It's only a small ledge but the plants are coming through and are looking good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here