Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warty baby flytraps

Posted by colopatiron Alabama (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 16:13

I couldn't find any other postings about this. Maybe someone has seen this: I started out with three flytraps five or so years ago that bud and split like crazy - I've probably had a total of 300 so far (I sell most of them). Anyway, I just had to move to a place where the sun is not as great as it used to be, but so far it's adequate. About twenty of the tiniest baby plants I split off are acting strange. The littlest plants usually don't survive as well as the bigger-bulbed babies that bud off so I was prepared to see them shrivel up. But it's been five months now and they still haven't died or grown leaves. If you peak under the sphagnum you see a little crown of warty-looking knots. I keep waiting for the poor things to die, but they just keep making little warty-looking things. I'm thinking that maybe after all those years of non-sexual reproduction maybe the genes are wearing out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warty baby flytraps

No, Venus Flytrap genes do not wear out from doing what they were supposed to do. All Venus Flytraps reproduce in several ways. They produce seeds from flowering once a year and (sexual reproduction) they produce clones of themselves from rhizome divisions below the soil (asexual reproduction). What you are seeing is probably due to less light and from being split off from the parent too early. The adult plant and the young can all suffer from weakening if they are divided too often and too early. Wait about every other year until young plants are at least half grown before removing them from the parent for best results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here