Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saldut

plant trying to make a vine

saldut
12 years ago

I'm from the Fla. Forum and was adv. to come here by corpsman cooper, so here I is.... my pitcher-plant had loads of pitchers and then they died, the plant was really pot-bound so I divided it and the new plant is now full of pitchers, but the other half is growing great but no pitchers but is trying to vine and looks like it wants to climb the guava tree it's in.... both halves were potted into a Al's Mix , pine-fines, perlite, and peat, very free-flowing drains quick.... I would like to know if the side that wants to vine should be trimmed back, or make cuttings, or what ? do these vine naturally? should I hang it further from the tree-branch so it hangs down instead of climbing, because I'll have to take it inside when we get cold weather and I don't want to injure it pulling it off the tree....also, can these be fertilized with Osmocote, as I do my orchids and roses?...... I sure appreciate any advice on this, thanks, sally

Comments (12)

• petiolaris
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture?

• saldut
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, but I don't even own a camera besides my hand shakes when I do try, guess I'm still back in the Dark Ages !! The part that is trying to make a vine has no pitchers and doesn't look like it's trying, but it sure is growing and has this one segment that has gotten over a foot long, reaching out to the tree branch..... the other half in a different pot is full of pitchers..... maybe these things have a Ying and a Yang or a Venus and a Mars !! When I separated the original plant and put each half in a new pot, I mixed in lots of Osmocote.... Thanks, sally

• jmoore3274
    12 years ago

Most Nepenthes are vines but very slow growing ones. I have had plants start to vine rather fast that turned into flowers at the end. Flowers are very rare in cultivation.

Let it grow. As long as its growing its ok and it will eventually put out pitchers. You can trim it but expect the plant to show signs of shock and start growing from a new point later on down the road.

I would not worry about fertilizing it at all since it is easy to mess up and wreck your plant. Since they are capable of catching their own fertilizer there isn't really a need to feed the plant.

Happy Growing.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

I'm sure RainforestGuy would argue with that. and I agree with him.Nepenthes DO NOT grow in a sterile environment therefor why wouldn't you give them the fertilizer they need? all bugs do is give them nitrogen that can't be absorbed by the roots, but nitrogen isn't the only nutrients they need. they gather most of their needed nutrients through their roots. I'm not up to date with how to fertilize though so if you want to know more ask someone like RainforestGuy.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Nepenthes flowers are NOT rare in cultivation. They are rare possibly because plants are so malnourished that flowering would be a form of suicide if they did use up energies to make a spike.
    I have nepenthes flowering all the time and they do not get small pitchers during flowering because they are strong and healthy because they use their roots to absorb nutrients present in the soil.
    First of all planting your plants in peat, perlite, and media other than the "soils" they grow in is already a direction for mistake to begin with. Nepenthes soils are usually a mixture of sediment, rock origin-volcanic and a mixed media of decomposed particles. Moss being a common media that cements this together. This rarely occurs in captivity and the way nutrients are gathered in the wild would be impossible to replicate in captivity.
    And YES they absorb nutrients through their vast root systems in the wild. Unfortunately most nepenthes in captivity almost doesn't need a root system because many are retarded because they are not in use. This is why your plant has such a small tiny weak system. Plants that have active roots (active in a way to absorb NUTRIENTS-fertilizers) keep actively growing and expanding. Roots in search of NUTRIENTS keep growing and growing expanding to new areas to sweep what they can when they can.

{{gwi:558524}}
    Upper pitchers are huge and well developed on plants that are feeding well. They are NOT sacrificed for new growth and do not become weak and lost over time, but rather have many many pitchers (both aerial and ground pitchers at the same time). Flowering is just an extension of growth that leads to sexual propagation of the species. Many produce spike after spike in a succession of multiple spikes to ensure that the species is perpetuated through pollination.
    Large pitcher development is only obtained through root nutrient absorption you cannot get large pitchers from insect food alone. The pitchers of such giants as N. merrilliana, rajah, etc. is only obtainable if the plants have an active healthy root system and able to absorb and process nutrients in the soil. Even N. rajah come from soils high in somewhat high doses of ultramafic soils high in nutrients, while harmful to other species of weeds, grasses, etc., is beneficial to nepenthes when mixed with rainwater and other solubles present in the soils.
    {{gwi:558525}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Beautiful plant, I just used a kelp powder mixed with water on my plants about a week ago, so far nothing has happened though, except on my little ventricosa that came from my big one, it shot off like a rocket. I agree with RainforestGuy; no plant in the wild grows in a sterile environment, the idea is absurd.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

saldut, I suggest not using the osmocote. waht soil mix do you use RainforestGuy? it looks like you have a lot of lava rock in your mixes.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I use a cheap mix, yes some do have cinders but not necessary a requirement. Usually the larger plants which the pots require some weight to prevent them from knocking over.
    But nutrients by fertilizers is needed to allow pitchers to become their fullest potential. This image is an example of a plant which normally produces just so so pitchers can produce giant pitchers all the time.{{gwi:558526}}

Every plant has its potential to become giant pitchers.
    {{gwi:558527}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

my mix is usualy just sphagnum moss, pumice, and orchid bark.

• saldut
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input and information, it always pays to consult the experts..... when I went out and did my morning turn in the garden today , I noticed my Pitcher plant has started forming several small pitchers on the new growth on the part I separated... both on the former plant and on that long vine it is putting out..... WOO-HOO... how 'bout that !! so now I have 2 (two) Pitcher plants out there in the tree producing pitchers...... Thanks again, sally

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

All nepenthes have a tendency to climb. While some look forward to this stage in their lives, I am particularly not looking forward to when these compact shrubby stems elongate and form upper pitchers and develop lesser attractive upper pitchers.
    {{gwi:558528}}

Here is an example of a thorelii x sibuyanensis lower in a nice seashell pink coloration
    {{gwi:558529}}
    And the same plant with uppers
    {{gwi:558530}}
    These green pitchers are only what is made on these vining growths.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Why is it that when you tell people what to do, they always go off on the bandwagon and going bonkers with any fertilizers.
    I would like to set the record straight before you do fertilize your plants and do it wrong and they die in the process.
    I endorse an ORGANIC Liquid Seaweed Extract (You could also use Maxsea, and other SEAWEED extract applications). THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS FISH EMULSION. FISH EMULSION IS TOXIC TO NEPENTHES AS THIS EMULSIFYING AGENT EVENTUALLY GLOGS DRAINAGE IN POTTED PLANTS AND IMPEDES WATER ABSORPTION. DO NOT USE FISH EMULSION, IT IS TOXIC TO CARNIVOROUS PLANTS!!!!!!
    ALSO TIMED RELEASE FERTILIZERS IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NEPENTHES. OSMOCOTE CAN SPELL DANGER AND EVENTUALLY KILL NEPENTHES. NEPENTHES HAVE FINE FEEDER ROOTS THAT WORKS BEST WHEN YOU USE A SOLUBLE 100% WATER TRAVELING NUTRIENT BLEND THAT IS ABSORBED BY ROOTS ONLY EXCLUSIVELY AND NEVER THROUGH THE LEAVES OR PITCHERS.

I RECOMMEND PETER'S SOLUBLE-ANY BRAND RATIO WORKS WELL. DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW/MIRACID. NEVER, NADA AND NOT EVEN BECAUSE IT WAS ON SALE. MIRACLE GROW IN THE LONG RUN WILL KILL YOUR NEPENTHES. IT MAY WORK REALLY GOOD INITIALLY BUT AFTER A WHILE TOXIC SALTS AND OTHER TRACE WILL BUILD UP AND YOU WILL WONDER WHY YOUR PLANT IS SHRINKING AND GETTING SICKLY.
    IF YOU ARE NOTICING THIS ON YOUR OTHER PLANTS FED WITH MIRACLE GROW, THIS IS THE REASON WHY. IT HAS TOO HIGH A LEVEL OF TOXIC SALTS AND TRACE THAT YOUR PLANTS CAN'T FUNCTION PROPERLY. THINK LIKE YOUR PLANT, DRINKING SEAWATER WHEN YOU WATER WITH PLAIN WATER, EATING FOODS WITH EXTRA SALT ON YOUR ALREADY SALTY FOOD.

NUFF SAID: I do not want to even read about how using fish emulsion fertilizer killed your plant, because I'm telling you now IT WILL! I do not want to read how Osmocote made all your pitchers dry up, because IT WILL! And I don't even want to know that you were using Miracle Grow/Miracid for a LONG LONG time and nothing, then all of a sudden gnomes killed your plants for no reason (because over time the salt residue build up and trace toxic levels were about as toxic as a nuclear accident.