Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kefka666

Bugs!

kefka666
15 years ago

I'm currently growing some sundews and nepenthes indoors and watering them using the tray method. It's going great. But recently some bugs have appeared:

{{gwi:558617}}
The photograph shows the largest of this type of bug I've encountered thus far. They range from approximately 0.8 mm to 1.2 mm in length. I do not know if this is a larval form of a metamorphic insect or if this is the full adult form. I simply don't know what it is... that's the purpose of this post!

They are very small and can leap great distances (over 30 body lengths by my count) across the water very rapidly without breaking the surface tension. They range from gray to yellow in color. I first spotted them three days ago, and so far they are not harassing the plants; I usually see them running across the surface of the water or around the exterior of the pots. Their young are tiny, barely visible specks that move rapidly.

Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them? I don't want them to damage any plants. They seem to be reproducing rather quickly.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations