Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgrrl

Where can I find pitcher plants?

toolgrrl
17 years ago

Hi all-

I'm a newbie to this message board as well as to growing CP's. I'm totally obsessed with pitcher plants after seeing the collection in the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Yowza!

Actually, I have 2 questions: first is where can I purchase my own? I know I can get plants online, but I really prefer seeing the actual plant before spending hard cash. I found the Biophilia nursery in Elberta, AL, but no-one else in town sells them (except wholesale). I did purchase a couple of Sarracenia from Biophilia. I travel to Atlanta fairly regularly, sometimes Birmingham & New Orleans. I'm actually driving to Hattiesburg tomorrow. So anywhere even somewhat en route from Mobile to these places would be great. I would really like to get a Nepenthes!

OK, second question: I've been reading about the difference between the lowland & highland species of nepenthes & from what I've read, the highlands do better if they get cold in (60 degrees) at night. That only happens here in Mobile in the spring & fall, NEVER in the summer. Will that make it difficult for me to grow highland nepenthes?

Thanks for any/all input!

Comments (7)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I would say that most of my Sarracenias & Nepenthes have come from Lowes and secondarily from Home Depot. After that, I have received plants via trades and generosity of CP forum growers. The trouble with going to Lowes or home Depot is that the workers haven't a clue as to how to take care of them. Consequently, they could be in very bad shape and need to be nursed back to health. buting online is expensive, although I've never attempted it. Obtaining from other hobbyists is very cheap, possibly free or just for the cost of Priority shipping ($4.05), but you don't get to see what you are getting. Personally, I like to check our Lowes and see whatthey have, if anything, or anything worthwhile. ~95% of my CP collection have come from responding to trading forum offerings and cultivating friendships within the CP community.

My collection is relatively weak when it comes to having extra Sarracenias & Nepenthes, and I've already given or pledged to others. Otherwise, I'd offer some starter plants.

In contrast, I am strongest with sundews, which I find to be most appealing. There's nothing like looking at sundews glistening in the afternoon sun!

{{gwi:547132}}

{{gwi:548171}}

{{gwi:550669}}

{{gwi:430410}}

See what I mean?

Here's my meager Sarr & Nep collections:

{{gwi:554303}}

{{gwi:430150}}

• xymox
    17 years ago

Petiolaris is correct. there is always (most times) good selections of Sarracenias(american pitcher plants) fighting for their survival at local hardware stores such as Home Depot or Lowes.

the plants usually cost around $6.00(including the tax)
    if you want to see them to believe them, check out home depot's garden center or lowes' gardening departments. THEY SHOULD be there sitting in trays.

you will usually find venus' flytraps. sundews ,Sarracenias(american pitcher plants) and Nepenthes(tropical pitcher plants) Nepenthes highland are easier to grow. You should begin with a nepenthes Sanguinea. it is a nepenthes highland species, it is a fast grower and it is great for beginners :)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

My very first successful Nep came from Lowes and the panel of experts said this young plant is an N. sanguinea. Very easy plant to cultivate.

{{gwi:546278}}

Another easy one to find and grow at Lowes is N. ventrata.

{{gwi:547541}}

• toolgrrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! I'm amazed you can find these exotic plants at Lowes or Home Depot! I saw the other thread about the little terrariums being sold at Lowes, so I checked it out yesterday. Sure 'nuff, they had a couple of almost dead examples of sarrecenia & a totally dead flytrap. Very sad. I'll keep looking:thanks!

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Those mini-terrariums are affectionately known as "cubes if death". Reminds me of food from vending machines ("Wheel of death").

You CAN get decent plants from those Lowes cubes, but it's a matter of timing. Perhaps placing a call and talking to the manager, as to when the next shipment will be. Since they are down to the last of the rejects and will likely toss them, a new shipment might be on its way.

If your interested in sundews and butterworts and bladderworts, feel free to Email me.

• ilbasso_74
    17 years ago

My best nep is a Lowe's rescue from last jan or feb. It had no pithcers and was just a little stalk surrounded by what used to be a VFT and a sundew. They knocked off 50% and not it is thriving next to the computer with 5 pitchers and many healthy leaves.

I have many others from such places outside and they are well. I think the catch is grabbing them as soon as they arrive at the store before Lowes has a chance to kill them off. Also, if you buy them later in the summer and in the fall, they are may not be healthy enough for dormancy. I'm not sure, but I think that that contriubted to mine dying last winter. Get 'em early and grow 'em correctly.

• bugeater4
    14 years ago

Yes Lowes they carry good carnivorous plants. Home Depot does not carry them any more. I bought a sarrcenia Flava, purple pitcher and a Venus fly trap. good luck!