Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nep. Alata overgrown!!

Posted by maoril (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 17:26

Hi,
few years ago i got this Nep. alata and after some advices that i've received here, it grow very well and very fast.
At first, it had grown many pitchers, some big and full and others small but all healthy and in plenty. as the time went on, it had gradually reduced the pitchers producing that has gone into 0 in the last year but started to grow very high very fast.
it is now more than 2.5 meters high with one main stalk and two other small ones but no pitchers what so ever.
I have two questions:
1. can i cut it in the middle and make it grow roots so i'll have two plants and how is it done?
2. how can i make it remember that it is carnivorous plant and that it should grow pitchers??

thank you very much up front,
Maor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nep. Alata overgrown!!

You can cut it back and use the cutting to make a new plant! I have to cut my Ventrata back ALL the time. Take a cutting with at least 4-5 leaves on it. Strip off the lower leaf and stick in in a peat/perlite mix. Bright light, keep the soil moist as usual. They are EASY to start this way.

The initiate pitcher growth first make sure it gets enough light. Then with a 1/4 strength orchid mix solution pour that onto the soil every 2-3 weeks until you see pitchers start. You can also spray that on the leaves as well.

o

Thanks a lot!! i would defiantly try it.
does that mean that i can take my 2.5 meter high plant with few dozens leafs and turn it into maybe 10 plants or would they die if they are cut from both up and down?

o

Thanks a lot!! i would defiantly try it.
does that mean that i can take my 2.5 meter high plant with few dozens leafs and turn it into maybe 10 plants or would they die if they are cut from both up and down?

o

I did NOT say that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here