Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog Garden Questions (Picture Included)

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 17:52

Hi everyone,

I had my lavender planted in this metal non-draining planter and now I'm thinking of making a CP bog garden with it. The plants I'm thinking of putting in it are Sarracenias and Dionaea. Could I leave it outdoors for the winter? I would love to hear your ideas! This will be my first time bog gardening, but not CP growing.

Here's the planter (you can see why I took out the lavender)
Photobucket

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog Garden Questions (Picture Included)

i am definitely not an expert, but i would say it would be better if you could put it in and unheated garage or maybe build a cold frame out of straw bales and mulch it with white pine needles. i would also say you should make a few holes in the side of container, about four inches up. to allow excess water to drain out. cp's don't like to be soaking wet. you could also dig a hole in the ground and sink it in there. i'm sure others will have more ideas or advice.

o

Thanks, Cody!

This container is very heavy and is quite a pain to move while occupied! Without soil, it is light as a feather. I don't want it up against the house as that's how the lavender got waterlogged (rain plus the dripping from the roof).

When I grew CPs before, I just grew them on pebble trays and brought them in before the frost (only did it for 2-3 years because they died later in the second-third year).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

i would say they died because they need dormancy, but of course there could be a different reason. you could always pop the plants out of the bucket and into the vegetable crisper.

o

I'm in the same zone. It gets too cold here for most Sarrs and VFTs. Maybe put the container on a wheeled dolly and roll it into a safe area like an unheated garage? Purple pitcher plants would do o.k. in that since they are from this region.

o

Cody, no I gave all my plants winter dormancy when I grew them. We had a windstorm one year that took my little greenhouse apart and blew away my VFT. The other plants didn't grow right after being blown out of their pots.

Tommy, thanks for the suggestion! One of the plants I grew before was a purple pitcher (from Lowe's).

I could put it in the shed (unheated) if I had to. There isn't much space in there since that's more for storage space for the winter.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here