Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pitcher plant

Posted by irishalan (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 18:44

i baught a nepenthes coccinea(pitcher plant) but when it was packed away in the shop some of the pitchers cracked and the liquid poured out now nearly all the pitchers are dead. will these grow back on if yes how long will it take

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pitcher plant

nepenthes can take a while to develope new pitchers. humidity, lighting, & watering , also, time is required upon size & age of the plant.

some growers tend to foliar feed their Neps, i honestly never used any foliar fertilizers on my neps. i grow my two nepenthes in a bright window. i water them by pouring water onto their containers and allow it to drain. i only water my neps 3 times a day. after watering them, their leaves are misted with a water sprayer(purified water)
twice a day. this will maintain fair humidity around the plant. also, this will help it perk up, and help it grow new pitchers.

nepenthes can be growned in sunny windowsills. or in a bright indirect area.

o

In general. CP's will often lose their dew or stop pitchering or stop spreading when in shock from shipping or a significant change in environment. As said above, they can take awhile to recover, like a few weeks. Usually, existing pitchers that are shocked are pretty much "toast". Don't worry about them. Be patient for new growth. I do just as Xymox with light and water, minus the spraying. Mine are in a bathroom window sill and get plenty of humidity from the showers!

o

sorry, i didn't mean to say that i water my nepenthes 3 times a day, i meant to say 3 times a week.

my arm hurt so bad so i typed with one arm.

o

Something else to note, unless I'm mistaken, each leaf only produces one pitcher. So, it will be other leaves which bring in new ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here