Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
N. Ventricosa too much sun

Posted by steventaylor MS (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 19:31

I recently moved my Nep outside and what I thought would be a good place for it apparently got really hot sunlight all day. When I came home from work most of the leaves had brown on them and a few were completely dried out and brown. All of the traps have suffered and growth seems to have stopped almost completely. I had also transplanted into an orchid basket. Do I need to do anything more than trim the dead leaves and give it time? Or do I need to try to make a cutting to salvage the still healthy upper portion of the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: N. Ventricosa too much sun

nepenthes often do not care for direct light outside. It probably needs shade during the afternoon/mid day.

o

I learned that even early morning sun is not good. The plant will be o.k., give it time but get it OUT of ANY sunlight!

o

Moving directly into the direct sun from lower sunlight is nefver good with any plant. My Nepanthes has been growing in full sun for 2 years now. It grows like a weed, BUT it gets watered everyday, and I mean a full and complete soaking, The traps have the most intense coloration to them since they have been in full sun, but the leaves, like orchid leaves, contain a highly red color, just as people get sunburn, the pigment is to protect the leaves.
You might be able to get the plant used to the sunlight but get it accustomed SLOWLY.
good luck

o

It was too much too fast. Follow the above advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here