Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivorousplants

Care for plants

carnivorousplants
16 years ago

Hi,

I just got a Drosera burmannii,Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa and a Nepenthes X ventrata.I need some instructions on how to grow them and some pics if possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (3)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Drosera burmanii is a short lived annual that will enjoy the same conditions your other sundews live in. 50/50 peat and perlite, water tray under pot, well lit window or 6000 to 12000 lumen florescent light, soft water, and the occasional gnat or fruitfly. When it flowers, make sure you collect seeds as the adult plant will die off after flowering.

Sarracenia purpurea likes full sun, 50/50 peat and perlite mix, water tray with up to 1/2 pot in water, soft water supply, spray some soft water over the plant occasionally to get water in pitchers so it can catch insects. In November, let it go dormant with the decreasing light and temperatures if you are in North America and it will come back to life in February.

Nepenthes ventrata is another easy to grow Asian Pitcher Plant that is great as a house plant. Place it in Nepenthes mix of 1/3 peat, 1/3 coconut husk, and 1/3 orchid bark as it will need a lot of drainage and no water tray under it. Water it with soft water like a houseplant twice a week to keep its soil moist, remove excess runoff that drains out of the pot. You can use a tray if you keep it dry, just let runoff collect and then empty the tray (water another Nepenthes with it if you have more than one) after a couple of hours. Keep it in a good morning sun window or under 6000 to 12000 lumen florecent lights. Mist it once or twice a day. Feed it a fly or a few ants or any insects you can find that will fit in the pitchers and be completely submerged in the fluid every couple of weeks if it does not catch anything on it's own.

I dont have those plants specifically but have grown Sarracenia purpurea purpurea and venosa both. The difference between them is that purpurea purpurea live further up North and can tolerate much lower temepratures than the South growing ventrata.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

And remember, Google is your friend! There is TONS of info on the web about these plants, do a search and see!

Have fun and congrats on the new plants!

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would purchase the book called Savage Garden. D. burmannii do well in pots sitting in a plastic container, right at a window sill. N. ventrata do well in a hanging basket, at a window sill, but will need supplemental lighting for the fall, through spring. S. purpurea is an outdoor plant and requires a dormancy.

Mix spagnum peat and long fibered sphagnum moss and water with distilled water.