Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
langkai

Sarracenia Minor indoors?

langkai
15 years ago

I tried to find some posts with some information about Sarracenia minor, but either there aren't many or I fail at searching! I tried Google as well... and turned up some results. But I thought I'd get more opinions.

I'm very new to growing carnivorous plants, as I only have one (N. Ventricosa). I was thinking of getting another, the Sarracenia Minor. However, I've heard this plant is easy to grow, but perhaps not so indoors. Can anyone speak from personal experience? I have a huge window in my room that gets about 4-6 hours of sunlight a day, and in the summer it's an average of about 32C (90F).

Considering I had it growing in the right medium, watered it (with distilled water) as it requires (it likes soggy soil, right?)... is it possible this species could survive indoors? I'd love to get one, but I don't want to get one and torture the poor thing if it won't live happily indoors.

Also, how do you care for it when it goes into dormancy?

Comments (11)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

They need to go dormant and full Sun. Grow it outside. My Sarrs go in the fridge in the fall for the winter. They stay outside as soon as last frost is past.

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to grow it outside, but I live on the ninth floor of an apartment building, and the balcony gets DEADLY winds. They're really horrible.

Maybe I'll have to wait until I have a house!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

You COULD grow Sundews inside in a window for now. They're easy. d.Adelae grow like weeds!

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are there any other carnivorous plants that will do well inside? Or is it pretty limited.

Thanks for all the info so far!

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

There's a whole mess that will grow inside! Many sundews, terrestrial utrics, butterworts, Asian pitcher plants,....

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot, you guys are great! I'll have to look into it. :)

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

I do grow some Sarrs indoors, but they really require a huge amount of light to develop coloration and proper leaf formation. You would need to invest in a few... that is at least 2 twin mount 40 watt shop lights to add to your window light and place the light right over the Sarracenias, like 1-2 inches over their leaves. This is only if you have to grow them indoors and cannot do without such plants in your life. The only reason I have mine is as a personal experiment in indoor Sarr growth and due to the fact that mine were all free gifts from CP companies. I will do the best I can with them, but mostly indoors since outside has been deadly to most other hardy garden plants, much less hardy bog plants. Go with most sundews, butterworts, and Nepenthes if possible. Ultricularias are easy to grow inside too.

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hehe, that seems a bit much for me! I had actually already kind of set my mind on getting some Sarracenias later, when I have a house, (I suppose they might be alright on the balcony, but the wind discourages me).

I kind of had my mind set on getting a D. Aliciae, U. Sandersonii, U. Bisquamata, and maybe a D. Spatulata. I'm not sure how easy Spatulata is to grow, so I'll have to research a bit more into it before getting one. I really love those little curls that Sundews get on them! I'm not quite sure what they are... if they are blooms, or if they are the plant curling around an insect? But it's fascinating none the less!

Thanks!

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

D. spatulata is very easy to grow and tough.. they take root damage very well and reproduce themselves with short root runs that eventually form up as clumps of plants in a dome up to 3 inches or so across. I broke my clump up and separated them into a window planter and they are slowly taking over half of it. They also produce flowers and seeds like crazy all summer... which turns into all year indoors under stable 16 hour a day lighting.

• langkai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Haha, wow! Well, that's encouraging, though it does sound like it might be takin' over the place. But I think I'll try it out. :)

• anachrokit_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to keep a Sarracenia Minor in LA. People seem to say that they need full sun, but I've found that "full sun" plants in the intense LA sun can be pretty rough on "full sun" plants.

I had a nepenthes ventrata that seems to do ok on the porch just getting ambient light.

Is the Sarracenia Minor a seriously light hungry plant, or is it ok getting dappled LA sunlight?

Also, how important is humidity to this variety?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor