Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venus Fly Trap

Posted by organic_mathew 9/Pharr, TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 21:35

Hi again,
I have been keeping my VFTs in a kind of shady part of my porch. They have been growing great so far. I put them out in the sun for *ONE* hour to "slowly get them used to the sun" and now the "claws" on the "mouths" of my venus fly traps are turning black. (sorry I couldnt think of any other way to describe that lol) what could this mean? Should I just leave them in the shade instead of the sun or is this just normal? Thanks for any help.

Mathew
Pharr, TX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venus Fly Trap

They have to aclimate to the sun. Eventually you need to give them FULL Sun all day. Put them in early morning or late afternoon sun fist then slowly (over the coarse of say a week givethem more and more sun. Remember, distilled or rainwater ONLY. No bottled water, no tap water.

o
RE: Venus Fly Trap

Also, you can acclimate them in windows to reduce UV for a couple of weks in morning sun, then all day sun windows, then outside in slight shade during noon, then out in full sun all day. Keep the progression slow and steady over several weeks and the plant will adapt its leaves to high UV light. It might still experiecne some leaf burn, but will grow new leaves that will be adapted to full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here