Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernbelleweather

Nepenthes Miranda eating too many bugs?

Hey all. I've had a large Nepenthes Miranda for about a month now. It's doing well with the exception of some pitcher die off from stress, but it has a bunch of big pitchers that are full and I mean full of bugs. One pitcher is full of yellow jackets. I have it outside under a tree.

Can it become too full of bugs? Should I remove some of them or just let nature do its thing? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• rover72
    12 years ago

This is the same question I asked a year ago about overeating. Supposedly, it can't....

When mine got a belly(s)-full of flies, it began growing - vegetatively. Just no more pitchers, since they were now superfluous...it had no more need to 'eat' until only recently.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Nutrient absorption from prey alone is not enough to sustain a plant and keep it growing. It requires nutrients, water and all sorts of elements to keep a plant growing well and developing new pitchers. Producing pitchers is not a result of whether a plant is "eating" too much and not making them because they are "satiated" but rather because they are not receiving the nutrients they require. Plants need something to keep them alive and producing.
    Use a diluted liquid fertilizer like Peter's Orchid, Liquid Seaweed extract, or other low salt blend. Liquid fertilize the plants at least once a moth and water well in between with plain tap water to flush out excess salts and micronutrients from building up.
    Plants always have pitchers on them all the time.
    {{gwi:550183}}
    If a plant is pitcher-less then something is seriously wrong. Remember a pitcher is a modified LEAF not a flower, not a fruit not a "special" part of the plant. It's a leaf that a plant makes ro sustain energy, make food and develop new growth with.!

• southernbelleweather
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. I forgot until now that I posted this! I'll just let it do it's thing. It's growing like a weed outside. I think it thinks it's in Malaysia here in Ga, very similar conditions right now.

I'll just leave it alone and when I bring it in this winter, it'll have a rest, although there are plenty of bugs in my bathroom for it to eat too, unfortunately, lol. Thanks again!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I think you're missing the point here. Those who live in temperate zones should make sure your plant is fattening up while they can to winter over even as dormant plants through colder periods.
    Fertilizing now would ensure that the plant is soaking up lots of rays of sunlight and converting food energy into storage tissues. Thicker stems, heavier root stocks, more leaves etc.
    Just having water and bugs is not going to cut it and I wouldn't be surprised that after the winter season you'll be writing about the dead Miranda that got so thin and weak that it just gave up.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

Woo hoo hoo hoo! Harsh!

• southernbelleweather
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually rainforestguy, I did not miss the point. I was well aware all along of the need for fertilization. I did not mention that, as my only concern was whether or not it was eating too many bugs. Those are completely different issues. When I said I will leave it alone, I meant that I will leave the pitchers alone.

• voltairius
    12 years ago

What are you Hegory, a high school student?

Rainforestguy, you sound like a one trick pony. Yeah, we got it-fertilize nepenthes!

Besides by the look of your pictures it looks like you live in the tropics-maybe Hawaii. No wonder you say Nepenthes are weeds.

• Hegory
    12 years ago

actually, I am a High school student!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

So let me understand what you are saying then. If you didn't "leave the pitchers alone,.." you'd be feeding them bugs? Is that it?
    Fertilizing the roots and feeding pitchers are as different things as absorbing vitamin D through your skin and swallowing a vitamin pill of Vitamin D.
    Now that I hope you understand the difference let me get back to my point about fertilizing the root zone (NOT the pitchers, not foliar feeding, not mind transcending fertilizer vibes mentally into your plant-these three points are as valid and worth about the same when it comes to fertilizing your plants other than through the roots). You must fertilize when the plants are actively growing and can utilize sunlight, warmth, being outside and the other elements that surrounds it. Just because your pitchers are full of bugs means actually nothing, as these work differently as far as nutrient absorption goes in nepenthes. If we gave each mode of nutrient absorption a purpose, it would be like; insect food in the pitchers would make the pitchers more colorful and attractive to bugs, while nutrients through the roots would make bigger and more profuse traps and plant growth. Does this make sense?
    This is the difference between having a small weak plant with beautiful pitchers and a plant that is growing robustly AND making beautiful pitchers.
    Fertilizing has its own merits and has nothing to do with whether a plant has bugs in its pitchers or not. Apples and oranges.
    This is my point.
    {{gwi:559551}}

• joseizaguirre
    7 years ago

Hello,

i have a healthy nepenthes alata. It has lots of pitchers and i am keeping outside for the sumer. This week it seems to be a lot of moths around and it has cought many making some pitchers half full. Few days ago one pitcher started to rot and 2 more seem to be going the same way. What should i do? Should i empty the pitcher that look too full?

Sugestions please!

thanks

• joseizaguirre
    7 years ago

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

it has done its task. when it starts to turn black, trim it off.

• purslanegarden
    7 years ago

I usually just let them dry up on their own. Once they are all brown and flat then I trim off the pitcher.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!