Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivorousplants

Nepenthes tips browning

carnivorousplants
16 years ago

I have had my nepenthes for about a month but it hasn't been producing pitchers because the tips of the leaves (which is the forming pitcher) turn brown.Even the new leaves' tips turn brown.I give it indirect sun and mist it once a day.

I would relly appreciate any advice!

Comments (3)

• njnewbie
    16 years ago

Do you know what type of nepenthes it is(name, highland/lowland)? It could be initial shock from the climate change/ and or if you repotted the plant. It could also be from the incorrect soil, and from too much watering. It could be the start of root rot if there isn't sufficient drainage. If you could provide some more info I could be more certain of a probable cause.

• carnivorousplants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know if it is lowland or highland but I know it's a Nepenthes sanguinea.And it's none of the things you described.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

If the humidity is lower in your house than where it was initially grown, it will stop pitchering and its tendrils will dry up. If it is not getting enough light, it might also abandon pitchering and its tendrils might dry up.

Other possibilities would be copper based products or copper traces in the water (copper pipes) as most carnivorous plants are allergic to copper. If the plant was fertilized recently, it might experience leaf burn and tendril damage. If fertilized at all, and they really do not need it if they have pitchers, you can give them 1/4 strength or less orchid blood meal fertilizer by wiping it lightly on their leaves once every couple of weeks to once a month. It really does not take much, and you should not really need to fertilize unless the plant stops pitchering altogether and looses all of its pitchers and only until it begins pitchering again.

Other than those particulars, where is the plant situated? By indirect light, what facing of window and how direct is the sun through that window? How long is the light photoperiod for intense light through that window?

Nepenthes sanguinea can be found at variable heights on Borneo peaks, however, is often considered a highland that is very adaptable and tolerant of up to full sun if it is given slow, steady increases in light intensity. It really does not need full sun to grow normally though.

The dried tendrils sound like low humidity to me. Place a clear bag over the plant and punch 4-6 1/4 inch holes in the bag every three days to slowly reduce the humidity. By the end of two weeks, the bag should look like Swiss cheese and no hold humidity and the plant should be adapted to lower humidity. You can then get rid of the bag and just mist the plant once a day.

You might also try providing a little more light if you feel the indirect light is not enough, or reduce the light, if it looks like leaf burn is what is drying the tendrils if the sun is too bright in the place the plant is growing.

Often, Nepenthes will experience a few weeks of the blahs from being moved into a new environment. Give it time if all else fails. It should be fine in a couple of months so long as it is not moved around too much.

Sponsored