Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deformed nep pitchers

Posted by thespirals 10a CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 22:08

i've been growing my nepenthes alata for over a year now, and now it has one older vine that is about 5' tall, and 2 younger vines that are about 1' tall. The younger vines have many beautiful red perfect looking pitchers.....but the older vine keeps producing deformed pitchers. They don't have as much color, even though they get the same amount of light as the pitchers on the younger vines. A few of them grew normally, but some of them develop without a cap, a couple of them were deformed in size and shape and could never fully mature....they are just kind of....there. I can't fit bugs into the tiny hole in the top of these bulbous round things that are supposed to be pitchers. They do have nectar inside of them. I have a couple of other pitchers forming whos caps are too small, and so there is a small opening that happens while the pitcher is still immature.

Is this because I don't prune it? I love how it grows nice and tall, I prefer it that way. I also heard that if you let them grow tall, they will eventually flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deformed nep pitchers

5' tall?! Wow! IMO, I think you need to prune them. There is an excellent description of an "air layering" technique in the one forum you joined last year. It is also described in the book called Carnivorous Plants Of The World.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here