Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would a Venus Trap Enjoy a Juicy Caterpillar?

Posted by LA_Sunshine 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 22:53

...or not? I've been picking them off my tomato and strawberry plants. Some are tiny babies, small enough to fit into a trap.

My dumb question is - would a caterpillar eat its way out of a trap?

I also have a hungry sundew that likes to dine on fruit flies. Would a small caterpillar be too much for it too?

I saw the sundew catch a big house fly the other day, but, after some struggling, the fly got away. Maybe next year, when the plant is bigger and stronger...

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would a Venus Trap Enjoy a Juicy Caterpillar?

Try it and see what happens, at the worst you would lose a trap if it does eat through,or cut the head off then feed the trap a yummy treat.

o

So, I couldn't find a caterpillar small enough for the Venus trap (I did a good job picking them off), but I found a bigger one that I tried to feed to the sundew.

At first, it looked like the plant won. However, by morning, the caterpillar was nowhere to be found. The sundew looked undamaged, so it's a total mystery.

I bet it's gathering an army and plotting a revenge. I better be careful around my tomato plant...

o

Hi sunshine,well i guess they win some and they lose some ;-) I have noticed my sundews only catch the smallest of creepy crawlers.put a few pitchers nearby they wont escape those.

o

Ken, I don't have any pitchers right now, but it sounds like a cool plant to add to my collection soon :)

o

oh yes, and there is a pretty wide variety to pick from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here