Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes ID query, (with very poor pic)

Posted by liatris FraserCoast,Qld (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 23:06

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me correctly id this nepenthes please?

I bought it a couple of months ago labelled as Ventricosa X Maxima, however any pics I can find on the web suggest it should be rather heavily red-spotted.

I am ashamed to admit that I have kept it in somewhat less than perfect conditions, and the pitchers have deteriorated considerably, leaving me with the pathetic-looking things you see in the pic. The pitchers are simply green, and about 3 inches in length.

I am unsure what other info I would need to provide, apart from mentioning that it has a climbing habit and very vigorously twining tendrils.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes ID query, (with very poor pic)

Hey there Liatris,
A picture of the leaf shape and the entire plant would help immensely.
Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

o

Okay, thanks Lois.

I hope this one will be of more help.

It's a bit difficult to photograph the whole plant - it has a couple of stems about 8 feet long.

o

Wow, you have a nice plant there! And it's flowering!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy such a big Nepenthes?

As for the I.D., I'm not quite sure. I'd really have to see a picture of a fully formed, healthy pitcher to be sure.

o

>If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy such a big Nepenthes?

Backyard grower who was selling their plant collection.

I guess you don't really want me to tell you about the really big Truncata I got for $8 at the time? lol

o

Pam,
I wouldn't be inclined to doubt the label. The spotting you're expecting comes from the lower pitchers of the maxima parent. The upper pitchers of maxima lack the heavy spotting of the lower pitchers. Check the following sites for photo's of the upper and lower pitchers of maxima.
http://www.viridis.net/cp/nepenthes.html
http://www.cpjungle.com/nucmax.htm
Andrew

o

Andrew, many thanks - those pages were very informative, and give me the impression that I am keeping my plants too dry, which would explain why I lost the few I had a couple of years ago.

Pam

o

Out of curiosity, is the Fraser Coast also the same as Fraser Island, where I have a clump of D. spatulata 'Fraser Island'? Is that the same as 'Lovelae'?

o

• Posted by liatris FraserCoast,Qld (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 15:57

petiolaris, it would indeed be the same Fraser Coast, except it's not the island itself, rather a stretch of coast adjacent to it, roughly centred around Hervey Bay.

o

Aside from the many not so friendly critters in Australia, I just love the saltwater fish and invertebrates and pigmy sundews and Byblis plants and Petiolaris Complex sundews and....

o

Pam,
One of those sites recommends watering the plants by sitting them in a tray of water. I'd be inclined to avoid this as Nepenthes generally do better in a drained mix. However, they do perform best with a regular supply of water.

Petiolaris,
'ssp/var lovellae' is the Fraser Island form. I don't think the name is considered valid anymore so D.spatulata 'Fraser Island' is the more appropriate label.

o

n.xhookeriana maybe. without a healthy pitcher, it will be hard to tell.

o

gracilis?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here