Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venus Flytrap Hardiness

Posted by gardener1 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 23:18

Hi Gardener1 here,
I've never grown a Venus flytrap how hardy are they? I live in NKY just 15 min south of Cincinnati. Temps at lowest are about -5 degrees f. Can I leave them outside for the winter if I protect them by putting plastic over them. Or will they overwinter in an unheated greenhouse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venus Flytrap Hardiness

Hi Gardener, you might wanna cover them real well if you get temps to -5, i have used bales of straw here in pa. good luck

o

Ken,
Thank You for the information. I grow a couple of bamboo that are only hardy to 5 degrees and they do Ok. But I think I'll try the greenhouse maybe inside another greenhouse. That should keep it safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabelmans Gardens blog

o

yes gardener, doubling up on the greenhouses sounds like that would work well., just curious but what temps do you get inside the greenhouse in middle of winter with out heat, i may be tempted to try that. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here