Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Issues I ran into last winter..mold!

Posted by mattmega4 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 3:09

SO last year was my first winter with my Cps..and i lost a S. Minor..id rather not lose another CP this winter...here are pics of what happened - depsite my efforts to prevent..and cure it
Carnivorous Plants,Sarracenia,Sarracenia mold
Carnivorous Plants,Sarracenia,Sarracenia mold

I bought this sulfer based fungicide..and put in a squirt bottle with distilled water and shook it up and sprayed the heck out of the mold but the mold held its own
anti fungus
...then i heard cinamon killed mold..so i covered it with it..
Sarracenia cinnamon,Sarracenia,Sarracenia mold,Carnivorous Plants

that didnt work either

so i guess..what do i do this winter? for that fungicide..should i put it on directly..like pour some of the powder on the plant..or should i just mix it with the water and spray like crazy again..id rather not lose my plants

im definitely going to monitor the water level A LOT more anally this winter..keeping it real low

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Issues I ran into last winter..mold!

I dust throughly with sulfur and keep them just barely moist. Your problem was to much moisture. There should be NO water in the tray. In fact take it out of the tray and mist the soil surface when almost completely dry. I have to bare root all my plants and wrap them in moist LFS and put them in tupperware containers in the frige for winter but yours should be fine outside. Cover them from rain so YOU can control the moisture level.

o

Taz, what product do you use?

o

Hi-Yield Dusting Wettable Sulphur. It's in a yellow and red bag. I use this on all my Caladiums, Colocasia and Alocasia as well.

o

I hit my refrigerated CPs a few times over winter with a sulfur based spray like Safer's. Seems to work well.

o

Can these products be found at Home Depot? I would like to take all my Sarracenias and do the fridge method this year so I can re-pot everything for the spring.

o

Any good garden center should have the Safer's spray and similar SULRFER fungicides.

o

With the product I used it was just done at packing. Didn't need it again. Keeping the moisture level perfect(just cool to the touch and no excess pooling) had a lot to do with it though.
I got mine from a local feed store. Lowes didn't have sulfur period but didn't check HD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here