Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

S. purpurea seedlings, the ongoing story...

don555
15 years ago

Thought I should consolidate this in one thread....

I bought 100 S.purpurea (purple pitcher plant) seeds off the Internet in late 2007, then stratified them in a bit of long-fibre sphagnum in the fridge on Oct. 17, 2007.

February 6, 2008, after being stratified for 3.5 months, I planted all of the seeds in one 10cm (4") pot, under grow lights in my basement.

Germination began after 17 days, and was pretty much 100%. Here's how things looked in early March 2008, about 4 weeks after planting the stratified seeds:

{{gwi:546463}}

But about a month later, disaster struck! The seedlings suffered serious die-off, in fact, I thought they were completely toast. But the die-off gradually stopped, and some seedlings bucked the trend and began to grow again.

So here it is in late August 2008, 6 months after the seeds first sprouted, and about 10 plants look like they are worthy of transplanting. According to an old thread by "Mutant Hybrid", transplanting can really invogorate seedlings, so I'm going to give it a try. Here are the seedlings in their original pot in late August 2008, before I try transplanting to hopefully increase vigour. If all goes well, I will be growing these under grow-lights throughout this winter, and will put them outside next spring to begin a more natural cycle.

-Don

{{gwi:560321}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored