Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. purpurea seedlings, the ongoing story...

Posted by don555 z3a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 3:36

Thought I should consolidate this in one thread....

I bought 100 S.purpurea (purple pitcher plant) seeds off the Internet in late 2007, then stratified them in a bit of long-fibre sphagnum in the fridge on Oct. 17, 2007.

February 6, 2008, after being stratified for 3.5 months, I planted all of the seeds in one 10cm (4") pot, under grow lights in my basement.

Germination began after 17 days, and was pretty much 100%. Here's how things looked in early March 2008, about 4 weeks after planting the stratified seeds:

But about a month later, disaster struck! The seedlings suffered serious die-off, in fact, I thought they were completely toast. But the die-off gradually stopped, and some seedlings bucked the trend and began to grow again.

So here it is in late August 2008, 6 months after the seeds first sprouted, and about 10 plants look like they are worthy of transplanting. According to an old thread by "Mutant Hybrid", transplanting can really invogorate seedlings, so I'm going to give it a try. Here are the seedlings in their original pot in late August 2008, before I try transplanting to hopefully increase vigour. If all goes well, I will be growing these under grow-lights throughout this winter, and will put them outside next spring to begin a more natural cycle.
-Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. purpurea seedlings, the ongoing story...

Congrats on the survivors. Hard to say what happened there. Could have been a poisoning of the water or soil or damp-off.

o
RE: S. purpurea seedlings, the ongoing story...

Thanks. Yah, I'm thinking damp-off. I had them covered loosely with a clear plastic bag with holes cut in it, so it must have been closing in on 100% humidity in there. Took it off when I saw the die-off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here