Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Does Drosera capensis have a dormant period?

quinnfyre
14 years ago

My Drosera capensis is doing quite well now, but for a couple months it looked like it was going to bite the dust. All of the traps? arms? (what do you call them?) lost their dew, and started slowly browning. The new growth in the middle would barely get started, and then it would blacken. I kept caring for it, in the hopes that it would recover. Suddenly, it started up new growth about a month or month and a half ago, and rapidly kicked out new traps/arms, full of dew, and hasn't stopped since. I haven't changed a thing. It is in a south windowsill, right up next to the window. There is a sheer mesh curtain in front of the window, as I grow other plants as well, and without the sheer I get some sunburning. It gets watered with distilled water, daily or every other day. There is a Drosera adelae directly behind it that never had a problem.

Also, I haven't had these two droseras for long enough to know how the winter affects them... What is their tolerance for cold drafts? Especially the capensis. I want to know if they need to be moved back from the sill during the winter, or if they'll be fine where they are. I don't think my windowsill gets too drafty during the winter, as the sensor attached to my thermometer doesn't show a vast difference between the sill temp and the room temp, but if they're rather sensitive, I'd feel more comfortable moving them. It seems silly worrying about it while it's been getting about 90 degrees out lately, but I thought I'd ask while I thought of it.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!