Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunterkiller03

My visit to Darlingtonia State Botanical Waysideâ

hunterkiller03
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just got back from my vacation visiting California & Oregon, the destination being Eugene Oregon for a wedding. After that event, send my time visiting relatives, places, the beach in Florence Oregon, & parks. I was hoping I could stop by Cook's nursery but visiting his website he doesn't allow visitors. Visited Sarracenia Northwest hoping maybe I can visit them but read it's by appointed only. Oh well...

But fortunately, a cousin of mine that's aware of my interest, new a place I would much enjoy. The place is Darlingtonia State Botanical Wayside‎, a 1 hour drive west from Eugen taking Florence-Eugene Hwy 126, then making a north turn on Hwy 101. Another 10 minutes drive until you reach Mercer Lake Road, make a right turn to head east & the entrance to the site is close to the corner of 101 Mercer Lake Rd on your right.

{{gwi:560376}}

You'll see a sing before reaching Mercer Lake Road.

{{gwi:560377}}

And one more sign on Mercer Lake Rd.

{{gwi:560378}}

There will be a map explaining the setting of the site before entering the area.

{{gwi:560379}}

Here are my pics of the plants I took. This were the group of plants we saw first when entering the site.

{{gwi:560380}}

{{gwi:560381}}

{{gwi:560383}}

There is was even a sign with a simple drawing of the plant describing how the Darlingtonias capture their prey.

{{gwi:560385}}

Here's more.

{{gwi:560386}}

{{gwi:560387}}

{{gwi:560388}}

{{gwi:560389}}

{{gwi:560390}}

{{gwi:560391}}

Some of the pitchers were over 3 feet tall! Never thought they could get that tall! The hoods bigger then my fists!

{{gwi:560392}}

{{gwi:560393}}

{{gwi:560394}}

When plants are able to grow in there natural, they are able to reach their full splendor. No matter how good your grow your Darlingtonias, it just doesn't compare.

Well, hope you enjoyed the pics. It was fun trip. I was also hoping to visit California Carnivores but ran out of time. But visiting this site made up for what I missed.

Cheers!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus