Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few questions from a newb to cp's

Posted by melikesthepeculiar 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 4:12

A few questions that hopefully some of you cp experts can answer..I appreciate any help you can offer.

1. Do all carnivorous plants need acidic growing medium, or can some take alkaline?

2. Are there any carnivorous plants that like shade, or do most like sun?

3. Which carnivorous plants if any can survive freezing winters outside?

4. Do all carnivorous plants like to be very moist, or can some dry out a bit for a day and still survive?

5. Will tap water damage all carnivorous plants? Just wondering what would happen if I had some outside and watered them with the hose.

Thanks again if you can offer any advice.Hope this wasn't too many questions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few questions from a newb to cp's

A few questions that hopefully some of you cp experts can answer..I appreciate any help you can offer.

1. Do all carnivorous plants need acidic growing medium, or can some take alkaline? Some Mexican butterworts prefer alkaline media.

2. Are there any carnivorous plants that like shade, or do most like sun? A few do better in "bright shade", like D. adelae, D. prolifera, and D. schizandra.

3. Which carnivorous plants if any can survive freezing winters outside? Sarracenias and VFT's experience frosts.

4. Do all carnivorous plants like to be very moist, or can some dry out a bit for a day and still survive? Some very definitely prefer drier conditions, like Drosphyllum lusitanicum.

5. Will tap water damage all carnivorous plants? Just wondering what would happen if I had some outside and watered them with the hose. It's a slow death for them.

o

petiolaris,

Thank you so much! That was very helpful and informative.

Sorry one other question, what is the best way to water the cp's?
Do I need to distill the water or can I buy it or something? Thanks again

Carnivorous plants are so amazing and beautiful. I hope to get some soon and have a go at growing them.

Take care

o

The only type of water you can use is: distilled water, reverse osmosis water, or rain water. I buy distilled.

Many CPs do good by putting the pot on a tray of water. The best pot to use is plastic with at least one or multiple holes on the bottom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here