Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melenkolee

Got my D. Adelae, and ready to throttle my cat!

melenkolee
14 years ago

I got my little d. adelae the day before yesterday, put it in its new pot, left the whole thing on the kitchen counter and left the house for an hour. By the time I got back, my dumb cat had nibbled the tips off of most of the leaves and uprooted it! GRRR! Poor adelae has been replanted and relocated out of reach, but will probably take some time to recover. He doesn't bother the miranda or my philodendrons, so I was quite caught off guard. On the plus side, we found another sundew that I believe is also an adelae at Lowe's yesterday (red flowers right? It sure looks the same...only without cat teeth marks on the leaves...grrr...) It's in a death cube of course, so I've cracked the lid and am attempting to acclimate it to our home's humidity.

I hope the cat got a tummy ache.

Comments (5)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

The first one may not survive as they do not like root disturbance. The one you found at lowes is probably adelae. That is the only sundew they carry in my area. When you transplant plant the entire plug and don't rinse it off. Grow some catnip to stop the cat from nibbling on other plants. I've always had catnip and my cats don't nibble anything but the catnip.

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

he's never nibbled any plant, which is why i was so surprised he went after this one. I guess he's getting stupid in his old age..Everything is going in plant hangers or shelves out of his fuzzy reach from now on. I understand that adelae is fairly hardy, so I won't give up hope on it just yet.

To my cat, catnip is like crack, which makes him wild and crazy..in turn making the dogs wild and crazy. Tequila works much better on him (kidding)

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

I also have a cat. She chewed on my Neps. I also have a grow rack and the lowest tier is sucseptible to her and the water she likes to drink. I have Mexican butterworts, there, so the water level is pretty low to begin with. Why she ignores her water dish and finds the yucky water in the plant trays more appealing is beyond me! The key is to just put the plants out of reach.

Innocent looking, right?

{{gwi:560565}}

{{gwi:560566}}

This is the bottom rack, now:

{{gwi:560567}}

You actually found a flowering D. adelae in one the infamous "Lowes Cube Of Death"? boy are you lucky!

• marklius
    14 years ago

Geez, petio..what are your lighting bills every month?!?! lol

• melenkolee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a tiny little baby flower stalk, but the pic on the side showed red flowers and the leaves are exactly like the first one's "used" to look. It looks extraordinarily healthy though, I was surprised! It's still in the cube, but i'm removing the lid a little bit more each day. As far as the cat goes, I've whipped up my old crafting skills and made some plant hangars to keep stuff out of Ed's reach but still where I can see and obsess over them. The adelae he nibbled on is still green and the new growth that was on it that survived the attack seems to still be growing. Maybe it will pull thru...

The miranda also seems content, and is shooting out both a new leaf and what looks like may turn into a pitcher on another leaf. Doesn't seem a bit shocky...I may get bold and bump up her repotting date :)