Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting mix

Posted by rover72 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 10:47

Time to repot the nep, as it's growing like a weed. I've read the threads on 'soil' mixes, but was wondering if there was any benefit (or consequences) of including a judicious amount of charcoal to the mix. There was an interesting article in the paper a couple of months ago WRT charcoal and carbon sequestration in equatorial conditions.

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting mix

Barry Rice has a short article that's worth reading:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3330.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Charcoal & Nepenthes

o

Thanks...I guess that answers that. I was intending to use a mix of long-fiber sphagnum, perlite (as close as I can get to volcanic rock) and sand. Maybe a bit of orchid bark in the bottom of the pot to keep the holes from plugging up....

Cheers

o

I recommend not using sand, as it does not drain well, nor does it provide good soil aeration, both of which are fairly essential for root growth, and if you ever plan to fertilize through the roots, which I recommend, the sand will prevent drainage and will lead to salt build up which will lead to death of the plants.

o

If you plan to use a fertilizing regime, use a media which will dry out between watering. I like pumice (not perlite), orchid bark and cedar mulch (un-dyed type)
Mix this evenly and fill pots that are not over sized. Use a pot that has lots and lots of drain holes. Mesh pots are also great for this plant.
Other media used includes coco bark (use sparingly), chopped osmunda, and lesser amounts of LFS.

o

Fertize again, RainforestGuy?

How grows it in Hawaii?

o

Even if rainforstGuy lives in Hawaii, I live in Utah (a desert) and doing what he said is the only way to get mine to grow good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here