Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
experience with activated charcoal?

Posted by colopatiron Al (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 10:58

I just moved to a place where my c.p.'s look like they're suffering from soil toxins. They have to catch roof run-off and maybe even run-off from an upper balcony when it rains. It's the only place they can get enough sun. Anybody ever put activated charcoal on top of the soil of their C.P.'s? Wouldn't it help purify water that drips past it? I know in the wild most of them grow in areas where flash-fires are necessary for the ecosystem. i wonder why all C.P. soil mixes don't recommend charcoal? Something I'm missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: experience with activated charcoal?

You probably know by the lack of response that no one has experimented using charcoal. The most its been used is to put a layer of it on the bottom of a terrarium to keep the water collected from getting too stale.

There was a grower in Wisconsin that experimented fire burning on his pots of Sarracenia x moorie but I have been unable to locate his website.

Some growers use charcoal as part of their Nep soil mix. So some people say it works but others like Barry Rice, author of "Growing Carnivorous Plants" advices not to. In his experience it seems Nep's roots avoid growing and spreading to where charcoal is present.

So maybe you can experiment yourself using charcoal and post your results.

Sorry I don't have anything else to add.

Good luck.

o

The best I've used is Biogize-SD which is available on Amazon under 'soil detox'. They have an easy mix and apply bottle which I just run through my hose-end-sprayer. But they also sell it in bulk (40lb box). I'm convinced my tomato plants were suffering from herbicides big-time until I treated them with the AC. They revived nicely.

o

If your soil is the problem, CHANGE IT! Why add something that will just modify the problem when a total change will resolve the problem and the plant and go on growing i=without interruption.
Most Nepenthes grow in media that may be organic or even limestone based. Charcoal would be best for those subject to fires and burning which should recover quickly from ash build up.
The use of coco peat/bark is good but this breaks down too rapidly that they will require a soil amendment. I recommend the use of pumice when using coco peat products and also orchid fine to medium bark.
But as they break down, amend it by adding a media with these components to give it good air circulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here