Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbinf

A tip for growers....

sbinf
16 years ago

Of large and small collections alike, though probably more for those of us who don't grow many carnivores (I spread my love over many types of plants!). This is particularly useful for those who cultivate indoors. I am an avid composter, but I am also very lazy and only head to the backyard to throw out my veggies once or twice a week. In the meantime, they pile up in a bag in my garage. I find that after a few days, there is a decent sized colony of fruit flies that have made a home in the bag. Sure the have wings, but they work just the same to feed carnivorous plants. So long as you don't keep the refuse in your home, the fruit flies won't be a problem after you've used them to feed. It's a free and very easy way to give live food to your plants.

Comments (3)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

I'll pass! Carnivorous plants don't actually need insects to survive but will catch plenty of them on their own without any help. My VFTs are eating like pigs and my Sarrs are nearly full.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I have set up wet trays with rotting fruit, next to the plants... but then again, this was in the attic and a building next door to where I worked!

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

I seem not to have a problem with having to feed my plants even indoors. Sometimes I do manually feed them just to make sure, but most of the time I see countless gnats and fruitflies caught by them. In addition, the odd fly that gets in is almost always invariably trapped within minutes by one of the hungry plants.

Sponsored