Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpgrower770

Nepenthes soil mix

cpgrower770
16 years ago

is this soil mix ok for my N. rafflesiana?

ground coconut fiber, chunks of coconut husk and bark.

Comments (15)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Add one third peat moss to to that mix and it should work. The peat moss provides water retention and acidic Ph levels while the bark and coconut husk provide drainage. That mix is not appropriate for other carnivorous plants, only most Nepenthes species.

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok thank you

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Everybody has their own version of a Nep mix, but it usually centers on what would provide and airy, well-drained media. Therefore, many people like to use Perlite, as well as a whole host of things - like peat, sand, LFS, pine needles, orchid bark, etc... I personally like sand, peat, LFS, and pine needles. As long as it drains well and you water ~ once a week, they'll do fine.
    {{gwi:554303}}

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow nice neps what species are they? b7y just looking at the picture and not rwally comparing it they look a bit similar to mine N. rafflesiana i think tag just said pitcher plant.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

N. ventrata on the right and N. Judith Finn on the left. Here's what the ventrata did in February:

{{gwi:549129}}

{{gwi:549130}}

{{gwi:548854}}

Totally illogical!

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow that is strange. Why would it flower in Winter? Well here is a pictuer of my Nepenthes Rafflesiana

{{gwi:560872}}

and I was thinking of getting Drosera multifida "extrema" any tips? Do you have that species? and approximatly how long does soil last?

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Drosera binata, multifida, and so forth are all pretty easy growers. Just give them the same treatment as a D. capensis and they will florish... A good window with morning or all day light or 6000-12000 lumen florescent light would work. Clean mineral free water, 1/2 peat perlite mix, constantly moist with tray of water under it and room temperatures, no difficult conditions to mimic. They can resist near freezing temperatures and will rest during that time, but do not require dormancy and can be grown indoors all year round.

Peat moss typically sours after a while so it would be a good idea to change pots and soil about every year or at the very latest 2 years. Best bet, once yearly would provide the best of all conditions as airing the roots, changing old musty soil, and repotting into a bigger pot as necessary, can all occur at the same time and revitalizes most plants, except the occasionally cranky ones like Cephalotus, Pygmy sundews, and Butterworts that do not like root disturbance.

By the way, nice Nepenthes. Looks to be getting enough light and liking it's home.

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mutant_Hybrid i might be able to grow it outside too because i live in SW florida and i bought that nep at that size from a local orchid nursery and that pitcher that hasn't opened is now half open so it is growing well i think. Your posts are so informative too so Thank You.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    have a nep that was given to me as a cutting years ago
    So have no idea which species. It has never been potted at all. i thought they were all epiphytes lol.
    The main problem has been GROWTH it tangles up in everthing and roots in the orchid baskets.
    Has been pruned many times but right now is around 25 feet in length.
    As I recall i put the cutting in with a Dendrobium orchid which was potted in sphagnum but is not really potted anywhere right now.
    You mean I'm not doing it right?? gary

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no if you want to grow it what i would do is get the soil. I would buy the nepenthes mix from www.cobraplants.com and when that arrivves plant your nep in that mix. give it very, bright diffused light similar to orchids that are not in flower. Now for water give it either distilled, RO water or rainwater although i actually use a bottled water called carolina mountain water which has been tested and has very little solids in it so i use that to water my plant. Keep the soil damp and DO NOT let it stand in water as nepenthes hate that. and depending on which part of florida you live in you may beable to grow you nep maybe even year-round outside except during cold spells. the more southern generally the better for you nep.

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

What about spagum moss to acidify the medium?

Clara

• cpgrower770
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that cobraplant mix has it in there trust me. It is just telling you that is has coconut and stuff like that in it so you are not surprised by coconut in your peat moss and i don't think spaghnum moss gives acidity i think only spaghnum peat does that cobra plant mix is great

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Aside from pH, what soil media tries to simulate is texture. For Neps, good drainage is the main thing. That is why a lot of people incororate Perlite and/or LFS and/or sand... etc... Unlike houseplants and outside gardem plants, nutrients isn't the main objective. My one plant was given to me by a teen who grew it in "100 % LFS".

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss are both acidic... it is just that one designates live or long fiber moss, the sphagnum moss, and the other designates dead chopped moss, the sphagnum peat moss that is found in layers under the growing live moss.

garyfla:

Most Nepenthes grow roots in acidic well drained soil, like what your sphagnum loving orchid grows in. They grow as vines up trees and might on special occasions drop their roots altogether and survive epiphytically. As long as they get enough water and light (and some insects), Nepenthes could potentially survive without roots indefinitely. That would be the exception though, not the rule.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    I've had the nep since 82 lol If I were growing it "right" it would have eaten the house by now lol
    In my location it's actually VERY weedy. have not found a way to control it My parrots use to love chewing on it but don't have them any more. They would remove large sections and drop them on the ground within a couple of weeks they would be sproutinglol
    I posted this because obviously it doesn't require much care let alone specialized care.
    I was trying to be humorous lol gary

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?