Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_schneider

Tallest Pitcher Plant

Jeffrey Schneider
14 years ago

Hello!

I would like to create a terrarium in a 28" tall cylindrical vase. Can anyone recommend a tall variety of Pitcher Plant for a tall terrarium?

Thank you!

Jeff

Comments (15)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

NO pitcher plant will do well in a terrarium. IMHO.

Try at your own risk.

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really? I've read so much about them being quite suitable for them. I'll investigate more.

Until then... still looking for a tall pitcher plant.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

S. leucophylla are the tallest but pitcher plants are really an outdoor plant. They won't do well in the long run.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

They will do fine under T5 HO Fluorescent lighting. They are expensive but each tube puts out 5000 lumen(I suggest two or more). You could also set it up in a window. You might have to install a fan for air circulation. It's a lot of trouble at first but worth the effort if the plants are happy. I've got some seedlings that are going to skip dormancy this year in a terrarium under T5s.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

Putting an American pitcher plant under artificial lighting and depriving it a dormancy is like sticking a human in a closet, with no light or toilet facilities or socialization. It won't last long. It needs direct sunlight and a dormancy to do well.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

petiolaris I don't know where you get your information but Sarracenia do just fine skipping the first and even sometimes the second year of dormancy. It's done all the time with seedlings.

• alcran
    14 years ago

Yeah, but that is just with seedlings. serious harm is done when they cannot rest after becoming mature. And I don't think that growing most kinds of sarrs would be worth it in a terrarium. You'll only be frustrated by the results. Any tall north american pitcher plant is adapted to full sun. If you use a nep make sure that the soil does not stay waterlogged and that the terrarium is wide enough. In any case you need powerful lights. What's the terrarium for, a pretty set up?

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I don't see anywhere in this thread that relates skipping dormancy and mature plants. I'm using a terrarium to control temperature. The OP is trying to make a pretty setup and instead of saying it can't be done, I am trying to help him do it right. IMHO with all this overcast and rain this year, I think my plants would have done better inside. I lost a lot due to rot from the overly wet conditions until I started bringing them inside when it rained heavily.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Alcran and Petiolaris are 100% correct, Sarrs belong OUTSIDE.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

In nature, they don't skip any dormancy. They're not coddled.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Is there really such a thing as a plant that belongs INSIDE?
    NO but lots of plants can be grown INSIDE. You guys are funny! Impervious to new ideas and creativity. You have no imagination. Really if someone wants to try something new or unique you just shoot them down. You belong on the play it safe or go home forum. lol
    BTW some plants no longer exist in nature but they do in cultivation. Ignorance and creativity both play a part in that. I'm sure glad this isn't the only CP forum.

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you taz! I do want a beautiful terrarium and have no intention of becoming a plant abuser. Why do I see so many terrariums with pitcher plants in them? Do people place the terrariums outdoors for 3 months of dormancy? I would think not, but would greatly appreciate your thoughts on how terrarium enthusiasts maintain their pitcher plants.

The vase is 28" high and 8" wide. My apartment windows face east, with no buildings blocking me... full sun. If dormancy is necessary, I can place the plants outside for a few months, but would rather enjoy them year round. So, suggestions for species that can do well indoors are greatly appreciated.

I just want to create a beautiful dramatic happy home for some pitcher plants.

Thank you all!
    Jeff

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

On the contrary, I have a reputation for creativity and experimentation. I have the (pictures) collossal failures and some successes to illustrate the McGiverisms. Some / most plants do well enough inside, with adaptive provisions. Others do not. When it comes to VFT's & Sarracenias, the inside growing doesn't hold up in the long run.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Jeff adult sarracenia do need dormancy but can be grown from spring to late summer inside. You have to put them outside in fall so they get the cues to go dormant. I think leucophylla or judith hindle would be a good choice however any of the tall species would eventually out grow your vase. Looks like you got a fantastic link on your other post. Start on the second floor for pictures of sarrs and decide which one you think is best.

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds great! I love both varieties (but will look through the gallery) and can trim the plant as they grow beyond the height of the vase!

Thank you all!!! Any other suggestions or aesthetic ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Jeff

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting