Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to S. flava, need advice

Posted by MzMolly65 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 13:05

Has anyone had any luck starting these from seed and having them survive in NW WA?

I'm falling in love with them and think I want some for my garden. The live plants I'm finding for sale on the internet at $26 for a 3" pot are just too pricey for my pocketbook but I found seeds for sale.

We just moved here and the yard is pretty bare so I have lots of room to play with. I have sunny areas, shady areas, low wet spots, high dry spots and a patio with potted plants.

All advice appreciated or any leads on live plants at a better price???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to S. flava, need advice

Personally I hate growing carns from seeds
Other than maybe Dews it takes for Ever to get a nice plant

Can't comment about the conditions for your location???
But Sarrs don't seem to be to hard to start from seeds
Although IMIO I'd hold off till the Spring to get them started
I would say it's a little late in the year to get them started now as they'll be going dormant here in a few months

If it helps
I've started them in the past in 6 cell gardening pots on a 50/50 peat & sand mix
Pots covered with plastic wrap till they sprout / In a tray of water
Bright sun / But not all day direct sun

&

Have had pretty good success with them

o
RE: new to S. flava, need advice

• Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 20:20

Hi MzMolly,
I live in Portland just south of you and have some recommendations.

First, you need to pick the sunniest spot in your yard. At leas 8-10 hrs of sun in the summer, 11 or 12 near the solstice is best.

Second, you need a sphagnum bog. See the link of mine. Pond liner with a couple holes to ensure a little drainage and a mix of peat and perlite or pumice works best. Pure peat is fine too. The cost will be about $200 for a small one. The other option is to grow in pots with water saucers, which can be fine for many years.

I agree with dethcheez that seedlings are tough. It's about a 5-7 year growth period to bloom. In that time, your one small start will grow and divide into as many plants as you start with seed. I started with 5 plants in 2006-2007 and this year the divisions completely fill the bog.

Third, next time you're in Portland, visit our Saturday market and find Sarracenia Northwest's booth. They have them for less than what you described.

Last, visit Brad Wilson's website to get inspired: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frogdr/collections/72157622134145986/

Best,
Ross

Here is a link that might be useful: Bog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here