Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklius

Is NYC Sarr paradise? Mine think so. Can they eat too much?

marklius
14 years ago

Hi Guys!

I live in NYC. I have accumulated nearly 30 Cps over the summer. At first, I was unsure as to how they would fare but they all seem to be doing excellently!

I have a balcony on which I keep the Sarrs and others.

Here is the root of my question...

Recently, I got a Judith Hindle, Alata and a Diana's Delight.

I live on the 3rd floor and on the outside are the trash recepticles for the building, which needles to say, breed a lot of flies.

When I first got them, I peeked into the pitchers and each had some insect remains in there, but now, almost every pitcher is jammed full of flies! a few have actually toppled over. I just looked outside and many of the pitchers have 3-7 flies still alive in there, which would indicate they are all very recent captures.

All my VFTs that are large enough to capture houseflies are also pretty much always 90% full and closed for digestion. Right now there is only 1 plants that has any open traps on it.

So...I wouldn't think that they could be overfed naturally, but seriously, about half over the pitcher have topple over!

(maybe city flies have not yet evolved to avoid CPs at all? lol..too bad for them! :) )

I realize that the pitchers might still be a little weak from transportation shock.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Were there any negatives to come out of it?

I would assume that the pitchers would re-stand up after a while but want to see if anyone else can tell me for sure?

Thanks guys!

Happy growing!

Mark

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus