Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sterile Plants

Posted by hikenyura Ca 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 14:07

I recently found out that some carnivorous plants are sterile, can name me all of the venus fly trap species and the sarracenia species that are sterile, if you only know some of them just post the ones you know

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sterile Plants

Actually, Venus Flytraps are all one species and should not be sterile, they are just not much for making seeds. They will make only a few dozen seeds at one time. Venus Flytrap differences are just genetic variations of one base type of plant, like all dogs breeds came from one genetic stock, wolves.

Most of the Sarracenias are not sterile, as a matter of fact, the "Tarnok" is one of the few I know of that is. The rest of the Sarracenias all require cross pollination to produce seeds though.

o
RE: Sterile Plants

As mutant hybrid mentioned, you're really only looking at Sarracenia Tarnok. Tarnok is a floral patterning mutant that results in the pollen and ovules not developing leading to a completely sterile plant. I am unaware of any other Sarracenia species or hybrids with this mutation nor any VFT variant in cultivation that has flowers sufficiently deformed to be sterile. VFT's and Sarra's do have physical barriers to prevent self pollenation. VFT pollen and ovules mature at different times and Sarra flowers stop pollentors passing over the stigma once they have picked up the pollen. However, both VFT's and Sarra's can be self pollenated by hand. Issues of sterility are more a problem in genera like Drosera where several species have chemical barriers to self pollenation and there aren't many different clones in cultivation available to produce seed. You do also get a few completely sterile Drosera hybrids and mutants like the crestate Dosera capensis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here