Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marklius

Struggling Frasier island Form and Ping prima

marklius
14 years ago

Hello -

I live in NYC (zone 6 I believe).

Among my growing collection of Sarrecnias, VFTs and Neps, about a month ago I bought a few more VFTs and a Frasier Island form and a ping prima.

All my plants are doing well except for these little guys.

For a while I had them both out on my w facing balcony (lots of ambient light but due to other high buildings, about 4 hours direct light per day).

I had them both in bottle top terraiums but after doing some research on this site (and cooking the poor ping) I removed all "terrariums". I now have the FAF on the balcony in a dish of low height (half inch or so) distilled water and the ping is in a w facing windowsill that gets about an hour of direct light per day and am also using the tray dist water method for.

The FIF had a bunch of small clumplets but the center one turned totally brown so I cut it off. The other clumplets are stil hanging on but I can see a very slow browninf of them as well. I haven't seen any new growth on it since I got it a month ago.

I have seen new growth on the ping (including a small plantlet on one of the leaves) but leaves keep turning brown and appear to be almost rotting. It sits right next to a nep judith finn which appears to be doing fine

Any idea what I might be able to do to help them?

I have 3 placement options for each plant -

Balcony in sun, balc in shade or windowsill?

As for watering, should they all be sitting in trays w/ distilled?

Should they all remain out of the bottle terrariums?

I just bought a light that I am planning on setting up over the ping on the windowsill. Do you think that this might help? It only fits one bulb. Would you recommend the 40 watt flourescent soft light? If not, what else?

All my other plants seem to be doing great but these poor little guys keep having to struggle.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington