Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maybe coolest/most disgusting thing ever (sundew w fly)

Posted by marklius (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 15:30

So, I occasionally wil put out on my balcony, where I have many of my CPs, a small piece of bannana. Flies come for bannana, I kill them and feed them to my plants.

so about a half hour ago I killed a HUGE fly and put it onto one of my sundew leaves.

And this fly is big. I'd sat a few millimeters shy of the length of a quarter.

About 10 mins ago, i saw the fly start to move...I wondered if maybe it was still alive.

Then this little bump on its butt started to pulsate.

Turns out that the pulsation was maggots and right now DOZENS of them are coming out of the fly, Some are burroughing back into the fly and some are also landing on the sundew leaves.

I always thought flies laid eggs. Guess I was wrong.

For some reason, the maggots dont seem to be as caught up in the sundew as other stuff. Maybe because they are slimy..no idea.

Anyway...who needs a TV when CPs make this tuff happen right outside your door?

man, I am glad I keep my CPs outside.
If this was happening in my house, I would be grossed out beyond belief!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maybe coolest/most disgusting thing ever (sundew w fly)

Update -

The maggots spread out over the whole leave and some adjoinig leaves. Looks like the dired up a bit and the sundew tentacles are starting to trap and move on top of them.

The sundew, in addition to the fly...now has dozens of other little captures.

Dozens of little snacks!

o

Pictures?

o

My camera phone would be take pictures too fuzzy to really view things so small...

o

Flies don give birth to live maggots. The big fly you caught was obviously infested with the larvae of some parasitic wasp. These wasps are tiny and lay their eggs on the living host's body. The larvae hatch, borrow into the skin of the host and basically start eating them alive from the inside, avoiding harming the hosts vital organs as the little larvae develop inside it.

That will evantuall kil the host, the larva pupate and more parasitic wasps are born to continue the cycle.

o

Yup and horn worms have the same problem. Freaking gross!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here