Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

D. adelae

ltecato
15 years ago

I've read conflicting instructions regarding how much light to give this plant. Some say full sun, others say it needs some shade. So I'm asking, how much light do you guys give your D. adelae?

Also, how much water does it need? Right now I'm treating mine more or less the same as my D. capensis, which is reasonably healthy. I keep the capensis outdoors in a spot that gets some direct sun and some filtered light. It's in a plastic pot sitting in a dish that always has standing water in it.

Comments (5)

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

Hi, i got a D. adelae about 2-3 weeks ago, i think lol, well anyways mine is growing in the same conditions as my nepenthes and mexican butterworts, it is in a greenhouse under a tarp so i might get partial sun, right now it is covered with dew and is doing fine, you dont have to have a greenhouse to grow them i just put them in there, like right now my D. capensis is outside in a pool bog and gets probably full sun. the only difference is with lighting the less light the greener and larger the leaves are the more light the leaves get thinner and have a redish tint, heres a brief care sheet hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: SNW D. Adelae

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

D. adelae cannot stand much full sunlight as it is unable to develop UV defence as well as other plants. It is suitable as a bright shade or indirect sun plant. I have mine in a South facing window but sitting just to one side so that it gets only a few hours of morning sun each day and some indirect light the rest of the time. It also has 12000 lumens of florescent light over it 4 inches above its leaves for 16 hours a day. The florescent light or the window alone would really be sufficient, but all that extra light without the UV is just gravy for it.

If you grow it outside, place it under some trees and shrubs so that it gets partial to indirect, but relatively bright, light.

Keep it in the same watering conditions you would most other sundews, a tray of water under the pot with up to 1/4 the pot submerged. They like as much water as Venus Flytraps and Drosera capensis.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Bright, indirect sun. Sit the plant pot in a water tray/bowl with 1 inch of distilled or rain water only. That's all you need to know.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Here is something many growers may be aware of. Adelae's size seems to be influenced at the amount of light it receives about minimum 12000 lumens of light for 12 hours. The plant tends to be redder; dark red tentacles with reddish red on the leaves that it sometime makes it look orange. But the plant is only grows 5 to 6 inches in diameter. But lower the lumens to 10000 or simply moving the plant further away from the light like I do, it's tentacle still remain red but not dark red as I have seen on others, but the whole plant tends to grow larger when it receives less light.

My adelae grows under about 16000 lumens but 20 inches away from the light and is in the back, shaded by the rest of my plants. Tentacles are green with red glands but easily reaches almost 8 inches in diameter. As you can see on the pic below. Its bigger then my whole hand!
    {{gwi:561489}}

On this particular plant, its gonna be up to you how the plant will look like. Stunning red plants (and I have seen real dark red ones at California Carnivores) but small or, greener plants but larger and showy like mine.
    {{gwi:561490}}

Just make sure that you don't provide too low light conditions that becomes small and stringy.

Happy growing.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I would just put it at a south facing window sill, in a plastic container of distilled water and add water when almost dry. That's all the maintenence it needs.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor