Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This summers portable bog

Posted by ken2256 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 16:18

Hey folks, thought i would post this pic of my little bog i made,most plants were put in late but all showed some growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This summers portable bog

what all you got in there? and what are you trying to keep out?

o

hey sradleye, there is a purp pitcher,flytrap,filiformis, flava,& a couple other sarracenia strains. I am keeping out cats, kittens and ducks

o

Yes, indeed. They were put out to grow too late for their growing period. Unless you had them growing some place else during their growing period. Otherwise it's normally a bad idea to start growing them so close at the end of summer since their dormant period is just around the corner. A short growing period followed quckly by dormancy usually doesn't allow them time to produce & store starch for the winter.

What kind of soil are you using? It doesn't look at all like peat moss. It looks too much like regular nutrient rich compost soil. Or am I wrong?

o

Hey Hunter,yea i know, they were bought from another and shipped in. was just overly anxious to see some CP,s growing.hope fully the weather stays warm here awhile to let them recover a bit more. we will see, the soil is just old canadian peat that was in the shed for years, nothing else in it. the fly trap has gotten huge and the filiformis is growing crazy good .

o

Well then, good luck. Try to keep them growing as much as possible but once growth slows down, let them rest.

My experience, when I got late growing CP, a couple of time Home Depot or Lowes selling them out of season. When they go into dormancy soon, the will come back next spring time smaller & sometimes weaker but they should recover by the end of summer. Sometimes I simply loose the plant.

So again good luck & happy growing! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here