Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes Flowering???

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 17:45

Can't get the pitchers to get bigger but now I have a large flower popping out of the plant. My fear is it will now die? Didn't know they flowered.

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes Flowering???

It's a plant, plant flowers. And no it wont die.

o

Hi jane
assume you're talking about nepenthes pitcher plant??
Down to one which has huge pitchers and flowers about this time every year . Tiny insignificant tthings with a faint bad smell but lots of them used to cut them off but just made more so now let it do its thing.. This one is well over 20 years old so guess they don't die for sure?? lol gary

o

Thanks gary, what type of light is your plant getting? Mine is healthy, growth good and now its sending up spikes of flowers. But the pitchers are very small and close to the leaf. Can't even notice them unless you lift the leaves. Curious what light you are giving yours?

Jane

o

Jane
Do you know which type it is?? Huge variation in the pitcher size. Wife bought mine at a sale and I just hung it in the shadehouse among the orchids with dappled sun
Had it hanging in a Carombola for a long time but wind really damaged the pitchers . Don't think they are very particular though, probably to full sun??
Think it's called "Miranda" pichers are about a foot long while another variety stay under two inches .
seem very easy to grow ?? gary

o

Thanks Gary. Somehow I thought they were shade growers and have kept mine out of direct sun. Maybe I'll try moving it to more sun. It has gotten so big in just 8 months, but the pitchers are tiny. I have it hanging with my orchids also.
I think its Miranda.
 photo null_zps81f0fd0b.jpg

photo null_zpsce4abedb.jpg

o

hi
Wish I knew more about them l Both of mine were gifts
lost the tags long ago The one I think is "miranda" looks much like yours while the other is MUCH smaller scale ,pitchers never over two inches
I'm going to move some cuttings into my epiphyte area to see if I can get it to climb a tree l. Should be interesting lol
Maybe some very wise person will pop in and give some great advice ?? Have never had a problem with mine except bumping into the pitchers which dump "water" on me lol good luck gary

o

Jane,

I have the same plant as you. Mine is also producing little pictures right now instead of the large ones that came on the plant originally! I'm trying to find out what the cause is and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Teisa

o

Jane,

I have the same plant as you. Mine is also producing little pictures right now instead of the large ones that came on the plant originally! I'm trying to find out what the cause is and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Teisa

o

Mine is throwing bloom spikes right now, too - really neat looking!

o
flower and light

Hello,
I'm fairly new to nepenthes, but I've learned that they need strong filtered sunlight, not shade (which can be a reason for the small pitchers) or full direct sun unless it's fall or winter and even then depending on where you live you will have to watch closely for leaf burn. Strong filtered light is like under a tree or through a shade curtain. The cool thing about a flower stalk is that you can create hybrids from seeds deepening on if it's a male or female plant. There are usually people who are willing to trade pollen if you ask. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here