Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Nepenthes Flowering???

jane__ny
10 years ago

Can't get the pitchers to get bigger but now I have a large flower popping out of the plant. My fear is it will now die? Didn't know they flowered.

Jane

Comments (14)

• hunterkiller03
    10 years ago

It's a plant, plant flowers. And no it wont die.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi jane
    assume you're talking about nepenthes pitcher plant??
    Down to one which has huge pitchers and flowers about this time every year . Tiny insignificant tthings with a faint bad smell but lots of them used to cut them off but just made more so now let it do its thing.. This one is well over 20 years old so guess they don't die for sure?? lol gary

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks gary, what type of light is your plant getting? Mine is healthy, growth good and now its sending up spikes of flowers. But the pitchers are very small and close to the leaf. Can't even notice them unless you lift the leaves. Curious what light you are giving yours?

Jane

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Jane
    Do you know which type it is?? Huge variation in the pitcher size. Wife bought mine at a sale and I just hung it in the shadehouse among the orchids with dappled sun
    Had it hanging in a Carombola for a long time but wind really damaged the pitchers . Don't think they are very particular though, probably to full sun??
    Think it's called "Miranda" pichers are about a foot long while another variety stay under two inches .
    seem very easy to grow ?? gary

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gary. Somehow I thought they were shade growers and have kept mine out of direct sun. Maybe I'll try moving it to more sun. It has gotten so big in just 8 months, but the pitchers are tiny. I have it hanging with my orchids also.
    I think its Miranda.
    {{gwi:561538}}

{{gwi:561539}}

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    Wish I knew more about them l Both of mine were gifts
    lost the tags long ago The one I think is "miranda" looks much like yours while the other is MUCH smaller scale ,pitchers never over two inches
    I'm going to move some cuttings into my epiphyte area to see if I can get it to climb a tree l. Should be interesting lol
    Maybe some very wise person will pop in and give some great advice ?? Have never had a problem with mine except bumping into the pitchers which dump "water" on me lol good luck gary

• teisa
    10 years ago

Jane,

I have the same plant as you. Mine is also producing little pictures right now instead of the large ones that came on the plant originally! I'm trying to find out what the cause is and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Teisa

• teisa
    10 years ago

Jane,

I have the same plant as you. Mine is also producing little pictures right now instead of the large ones that came on the plant originally! I'm trying to find out what the cause is and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Teisa

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Mine is throwing bloom spikes right now, too - really neat looking!

• Tiffany_loves_plants
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to nepenthes, but I've learned that they need strong filtered sunlight, not shade (which can be a reason for the small pitchers) or full direct sun unless it's fall or winter and even then depending on where you live you will have to watch closely for leaf burn. Strong filtered light is like under a tree or through a shade curtain. The cool thing about a flower stalk is that you can create hybrids from seeds deepening on if it's a male or female plant. There are usually people who are willing to trade pollen if you ask. Hope this helps!

• jesse_metz
    8 years ago

I have a nepenthes mirabilis - Do you know how to get my species to flower?

• jesse_metz
    8 years ago

Does the variety matter? If so, My mirabilis var. is globosa.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    8 years ago

There are usually 2 reasons why plants don't flower. Either one or both could be the reason. The light isn't strong enough or not enough fertilizer. In the spring spray every 2 weeks with a 1/4 strength solution of orchid fertilizer. Just lightly spray the leaves. This helps initiate pitchering.

• Farhan Neguive
    3 years ago

You could start feeding the small pitchers with a little fish food paste. I have read any sort of fertilizers can kill the plant.

Sponsored