Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Need feedback on Sarz

ltecato
15 years ago

I've got four sarracenea. Two that I bought in death cubes this year seem to be doing fine. One that I bought at a good nursery is a little iffy, I think, and another that I bought at the same nursery has really gone downhill since I got it last December.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:561574}}

Comments (11)

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Hm, what way are you watering them?

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

I cant tell much from the pics, from what i can see, they seem to be doing great, heres a few basic things you should know no offense if you know them already...
    1. water with rain/distilled/or reverse osmosis water
    2. if you repotted them make sure there in a peat:perlite mix (basic mix)
    3. they like to have full sun
    4. If the pitchers turn brown parialy its normal just the decaying bugs
    5. they do require a dormancy period
    You should be fine for your dormancy, you would require overwintering in zones 6 and under, like i have too, but zone 9 you should be fine leaving your plants out year round, but if it goes under 25F you should give them protection, hope this helps

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm using the water tray method, except instead of a plastic tray I have them in ceramic pots that don't drain. I only use distilled water. The medium I use is chopped LFS and perlite. They've been catching swarms of flies lately and they get at least a few hours of direct outdoor sun every day, although the mix of shade and sun is changing due to the season. The one in the smallest pot was a lot more purple just last week.

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

How long have they been watered that way? If they have been in that pot since you got them, it might just be the pitchers are naturally changing, im not sure. How long ago did you get them. Many pitchers change colors during the seasons, for ex: i have a dainas delight that had very green pitchers in the spring but now they are deep red with white speckles. It might be decreased light levels, usualy plants produce darker pitchers with more light depending on the type. If the pitchers are turning brown say in the middle/top that might just be do to the decaying bugs, you can cut them but i usually leave them, its naturall its just the decaying process, im not sure, hope this helps

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HJ: The one that's in the saddest condition, I've had it since December. It must have come out of a greenhouse because it was very healthy. I put it outdoors immediately, so it went through a couple months of mild winter and then a California spring and summmer. So it might just be that the plant is tired and going into dormancy.

Now the other plant I'm a little worried about I got a somewhere around January or February. I just don't know if the trumpets are the right size. They're pretty thin, but there's also a lot of them and they're still green for the most part.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:561575}}

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

If you can get a pic of the one that went through the dormancy i could try to id it, some plants do go into dormancy early, about your other plant if it is one from the death cubes, it is probably a form of S. rubra, S. rubra has pencil thin pitchers and it is normal for them to have skinny pitchers. The pitchers or trumpets range from all different shapes in sizes, some short and rounder, like s. purpurea, other tall and thin, S. rubra or S. alata, every plant is unique in its own way, so dont be worried if the pitchers are too skinny, also some plants during the hottest part of the summer will produce non carinvorous plant leaves, like s. leocophylla, white top pitcher plant, not sure on spelling, hope this helps

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HJ, here's the best shot I have of the plant that's beaten up. It looks like some snails or bugs might have been chewing on the top of the two remaining pitchers. When I got it, the pitchers were about 10 inches tall with nice color at the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:561577}}

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a shot of the same plant a couple of months ago, when it was doing a lot better. By the way the puny-looking plant to the left of it is in top form now, with fat sturdy pitchers.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:561578}}

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

Ok well in the old pic i think i can id it as a S. judith hindle, my plant seems to being fine right now and i dont think they are one of the plants that go into dormancy early, if the plant is still producing new pitchers id say its fine. yes it could have been beat up, i dont get slugs, but i do get grasshoppers they eat like half the pitcher, right now it should be producing red pitchers speckled with white, with a green base if i id'd it right. im not entirely sure, if it is still producing pitchers it should be fine, whats the water level at? it shouldn't be over the half way mark of the pot the plant is in, it could be root rot? if you have too much water in with them, was this plant from the cubes? If it was it might be weaker than the other plants which like you said it could need a year to get back to full health, like i said im not entirely sure, heres a link that might help. go to home/gardening, gardening, and then carnivorous plants they might be able to help, sorry im not exactly sure why the plant would be doing this

Here is a link that might be useful: allexperts

• ltecato
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Having the water too deep may be the problem. I thought Sarz could handle really deep water. Maybe I need to ease off a little bit.

• hiddenjungle
    15 years ago

Usually its best to not have the water level above half the pot, mine sit in about 2-4 inches of water, but i think there in 12-14 inch pots, right now they dont even have water it should rain tomorrow, so they should be fine.