Posted by einmyria Fort Collins, CO (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 18:49

This Nepenthes:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes ID?

looks like a nepenthes ventricosa, how did you grow it, what light bulbs did you use?

o

I just bought for $20 a couple hours ago. It was in their greenhouse, filtered sun. I hope it'll survive in my house. i put it in the bathroom for now where there is five 15w 6500k spiral CFL. And the himidity it needs... it'll just have to get it from the showers I take I guess.

o

um your gonna need more humidity than that, these things like 70% humidity

o

Have you thought about terrariums?

o

I was told by several sources not to do terrarium as it is actually bad for them since there is a lack of air and it will cause fungus and mold problems.

I will get a small humidifer...

o

It's either a ventricosa or a ventrata. Either way, it's an easier plant within the genus. I had mine at a bathroom window sill and it did fine there, even sending up a flower.

N. ventrata spike

N. ventrata spike

N. ventrata Male

o

There's nothing wrong with using a terrarium that isn't sealed. The problem is acclimating them to lower humidity when they outgrow the terrarium.
Not saying it can't be done but it's hard on the plants and they will normally lose all the pitchers which may happen to your plant if you don't get the humidity up soon.

o

I am pretty sure that is a nepenthes alata, or at least that is what mine is labeled. I bought one exactly like that in March when I was visiting San Francisco - same style pot and everything.

I didn't have the right conditions set up when I brought it home so it lost all of its pitchers. It's now in a 90 gal fish tank with some sundews and starting to produce pitchers again. I'm still trying to get the environment dialed in, but I think they're doing ok.

o

Just so ya all know, N. ventricosa x N. alata is a very common cultivar, called N. ventrata.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here